What is involved in VMware vSphere
Find out what the related areas are that VMware vSphere connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a VMware vSphere thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its VMware vSphere journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward VMware vSphere leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which VMware vSphere related domains to cover and 150 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
VMware vSphere, FreeBSD jail, VMware Server, Windows on Windows, Basilisk II, Spin-off product, Open vSwitch, Workload Partitions, ICore Virtual Accounts, Proprietary software, VCloud Air, Software license, Proxmox VE, SUSE Linux Enterprise Server, VMware vSphere, Cooperative Linux, Windows Server 2008 R2, Virtual machine, VMware Workstation, Virtual security switch, Linux namespaces, Operating-system-level virtualization, Windows Virtual PC, Oracle VM Server for SPARC, Software release life cycle, Citrix XenDesktop, Citrix XenApp, Application virtualization, VMware Horizon View, Windows 7, Microsoft App-V, Network virtualization, VMware Infrastructure, Oracle VM Server for x86, Parallels Workstation, Parallels Desktop for Mac, Remote Desktop Services, Virtual Extensible LAN, Virtual Iron, Parallels Server for Mac, Cloud computing, Software developer, Hardware virtualization, Ulteo Open Virtual Desktop, Solaris Containers, VMware VMFS, VMware ThinApp, Red Hat Enterprise Linux:
VMware vSphere Critical Criteria:
Think about VMware vSphere projects and report on developing an effective VMware vSphere strategy.
– Do we aggressively reward and promote the people who have the biggest impact on creating excellent VMware vSphere services/products?
– What potential environmental factors impact the VMware vSphere effort?
– Think of your VMware vSphere project. what are the main functions?
FreeBSD jail Critical Criteria:
Pilot FreeBSD jail visions and separate what are the business goals FreeBSD jail is aiming to achieve.
– How do your measurements capture actionable VMware vSphere information for use in exceeding your customers expectations and securing your customers engagement?
– Does VMware vSphere analysis isolate the fundamental causes of problems?
– Which VMware vSphere goals are the most important?
VMware Server Critical Criteria:
Administer VMware Server tasks and customize techniques for implementing VMware Server controls.
– What other jobs or tasks affect the performance of the steps in the VMware vSphere process?
– What are the long-term VMware vSphere goals?
– Are there VMware vSphere Models?
Windows on Windows Critical Criteria:
Accelerate Windows on Windows results and describe the risks of Windows on Windows sustainability.
– A compounding model resolution with available relevant data can often provide insight towards a solution methodology; which VMware vSphere models, tools and techniques are necessary?
– Think about the functions involved in your VMware vSphere project. what processes flow from these functions?
Basilisk II Critical Criteria:
Participate in Basilisk II outcomes and describe which business rules are needed as Basilisk II interface.
– Have all basic functions of VMware vSphere been defined?
Spin-off product Critical Criteria:
Bootstrap Spin-off product engagements and explore and align the progress in Spin-off product.
– Think about the kind of project structure that would be appropriate for your VMware vSphere project. should it be formal and complex, or can it be less formal and relatively simple?
– What are the Essentials of Internal VMware vSphere Management?
– How is the value delivered by VMware vSphere being measured?
Open vSwitch Critical Criteria:
Demonstrate Open vSwitch visions and work towards be a leading Open vSwitch expert.
– Why is it important to have senior management support for a VMware vSphere project?
– Meeting the challenge: are missed VMware vSphere opportunities costing us money?
– How can we improve VMware vSphere?
Workload Partitions Critical Criteria:
Extrapolate Workload Partitions visions and clarify ways to gain access to competitive Workload Partitions services.
– How do you determine the key elements that affect VMware vSphere workforce satisfaction? how are these elements determined for different workforce groups and segments?
ICore Virtual Accounts Critical Criteria:
Check ICore Virtual Accounts outcomes and gather practices for scaling ICore Virtual Accounts.
– How can we incorporate support to ensure safe and effective use of VMware vSphere into the services that we provide?
– Can we do VMware vSphere without complex (expensive) analysis?
Proprietary software Critical Criteria:
Think carefully about Proprietary software outcomes and report on setting up Proprietary software without losing ground.
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good VMware vSphere project manager?
– What will drive VMware vSphere change?
VCloud Air Critical Criteria:
Guard VCloud Air tactics and explore and align the progress in VCloud Air.
– Do you monitor the effectiveness of your VMware vSphere activities?
– How do we Identify specific VMware vSphere investment and emerging trends?
Software license Critical Criteria:
Prioritize Software license quality and explore and align the progress in Software license.
– What implementation technologies/resources (e.g., programming languages, development platforms, software licenses) does the provider support?
– What are our needs in relation to VMware vSphere skills, labor, equipment, and markets?
– Is our software usage in compliance with software license agreements?
– What are all of our VMware vSphere domains and what do they do?
Proxmox VE Critical Criteria:
Frame Proxmox VE issues and gather practices for scaling Proxmox VE.
– Marketing budgets are tighter, consumers are more skeptical, and social media has changed forever the way we talk about VMware vSphere. How do we gain traction?
– Which individuals, teams or departments will be involved in VMware vSphere?
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server Critical Criteria:
Facilitate SUSE Linux Enterprise Server failures and finalize the present value of growth of SUSE Linux Enterprise Server.
– What is the source of the strategies for VMware vSphere strengthening and reform?
– Can Management personnel recognize the monetary benefit of VMware vSphere?
– Are there recognized VMware vSphere problems?
VMware vSphere Critical Criteria:
Review VMware vSphere tactics and probe the present value of growth of VMware vSphere.
– What are your most important goals for the strategic VMware vSphere objectives?
– Is VMware vSphere Required?
Cooperative Linux Critical Criteria:
Be responsible for Cooperative Linux risks and look at the big picture.
– In what ways are VMware vSphere vendors and us interacting to ensure safe and effective use?
– How do we keep improving VMware vSphere?
Windows Server 2008 R2 Critical Criteria:
See the value of Windows Server 2008 R2 planning and get out your magnifying glass.
– What are our best practices for minimizing VMware vSphere project risk, while demonstrating incremental value and quick wins throughout the VMware vSphere project lifecycle?
– Are there any easy-to-implement alternatives to VMware vSphere? Sometimes other solutions are available that do not require the cost implications of a full-blown project?
– Which customers cant participate in our VMware vSphere domain because they lack skills, wealth, or convenient access to existing solutions?
– Which of my servers are capable of migrating to Windows Server 2008 R2, or can be virtualized using Hyper-V?
Virtual machine Critical Criteria:
Illustrate Virtual machine management and frame using storytelling to create more compelling Virtual machine projects.
– Can your application be packaged into a virtual machine (vm) instance and run on cloud infrastructure or does it need specialized hardware and/or special access to hardware that the aws cloud cannot provide?
– Does the provider utilize Network Access Control based enforcement for continuous monitoring of its virtual machine population and virtual machine sprawl prevention?
– An administrator is concerned about denial of service attacks on their virtual machines (vms). what is an effective method to reduce the risk of this type of attack?
– What types of resources (e.g., virtual machines, storage space, development environments) does the provider offer as part of each of its service models?
– An administrator wants to install a guest os on a newly created virtual machine. what enables the administrator to perform the installation?
– What is a limitation of using a backup agent on a hypervisor when backing up virtual machine (vm) data?
– What enables a virtual machine to be portable across physical machines running the same hypervisor?
– Which technique can be used to cluster a virtual machine with a physical machine?
– How many virtual machines are to be protected by the disaster recovery solution?
– What is the basis for determining the size of the virtual machine swap file?
– What enables a virtual machine to directly access luns in a storage system?
– What makes it possible to store virtual machine files on a nas device?
– Are accountability and ownership for VMware vSphere clearly defined?
– What is a feature of virtual machine file system (vmfs)?
– What are internal and external VMware vSphere relations?
VMware Workstation Critical Criteria:
Investigate VMware Workstation issues and summarize a clear VMware Workstation focus.
– Are there any disadvantages to implementing VMware vSphere? There might be some that are less obvious?
– How do we measure improved VMware vSphere service perception, and satisfaction?
Virtual security switch Critical Criteria:
Closely inspect Virtual security switch issues and know what your objective is.
– What are current VMware vSphere Paradigms?
– What is Effective VMware vSphere?
Linux namespaces Critical Criteria:
Depict Linux namespaces tasks and explain and analyze the challenges of Linux namespaces.
– Do we cover the five essential competencies-Communication, Collaboration,Innovation, Adaptability, and Leadership that improve an organizations ability to leverage the new VMware vSphere in a volatile global economy?
– What are the success criteria that will indicate that VMware vSphere objectives have been met and the benefits delivered?
– How do mission and objectives affect the VMware vSphere processes of our organization?
Operating-system-level virtualization Critical Criteria:
Have a meeting on Operating-system-level virtualization governance and intervene in Operating-system-level virtualization processes and leadership.
– Among the VMware vSphere product and service cost to be estimated, which is considered hardest to estimate?
– Who needs to know about VMware vSphere ?
– How much does VMware vSphere help?
Windows Virtual PC Critical Criteria:
Graph Windows Virtual PC tasks and check on ways to get started with Windows Virtual PC.
– How likely is the current VMware vSphere plan to come in on schedule or on budget?
Oracle VM Server for SPARC Critical Criteria:
Tête-à-tête about Oracle VM Server for SPARC strategies and figure out ways to motivate other Oracle VM Server for SPARC users.
Software release life cycle Critical Criteria:
Scan Software release life cycle visions and remodel and develop an effective Software release life cycle strategy.
– Does the VMware vSphere task fit the clients priorities?
– Does VMware vSphere appropriately measure and monitor risk?
Citrix XenDesktop Critical Criteria:
Co-operate on Citrix XenDesktop strategies and oversee Citrix XenDesktop management by competencies.
– Who will be responsible for making the decisions to include or exclude requested changes once VMware vSphere is underway?
– Who will be responsible for deciding whether VMware vSphere goes ahead or not after the initial investigations?
– What are the short and long-term VMware vSphere goals?
Citrix XenApp Critical Criteria:
Guide Citrix XenApp tasks and research ways can we become the Citrix XenApp company that would put us out of business.
– How do senior leaders actions reflect a commitment to the organizations VMware vSphere values?
– How does the organization define, manage, and improve its VMware vSphere processes?
– What about disaster recovery?
Application virtualization Critical Criteria:
Map Application virtualization issues and find the essential reading for Application virtualization researchers.
– Which product provides an application virtualization solution?
– How can the value of VMware vSphere be defined?
VMware Horizon View Critical Criteria:
Adapt VMware Horizon View decisions and diversify by understanding risks and leveraging VMware Horizon View.
Windows 7 Critical Criteria:
Discourse Windows 7 leadership and create Windows 7 explanations for all managers.
– What other organizational variables, such as reward systems or communication systems, affect the performance of this VMware vSphere process?
– What are the disruptive VMware vSphere technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
– Have the types of risks that may impact VMware vSphere been identified and analyzed?
– Which of my PCs can run Windows 7, Microsoft Office 2010, and Office 365?
Microsoft App-V Critical Criteria:
Contribute to Microsoft App-V planning and modify and define the unique characteristics of interactive Microsoft App-V projects.
– Does VMware vSphere include applications and information with regulatory compliance significance (or other contractual conditions that must be formally complied with) in a new or unique manner for which no approved security requirements, templates or design models exist?
– Do those selected for the VMware vSphere team have a good general understanding of what VMware vSphere is all about?
– Do we all define VMware vSphere in the same way?
Network virtualization Critical Criteria:
Refer to Network virtualization goals and improve Network virtualization service perception.
– Record-keeping requirements flow from the records needed as inputs, outputs, controls and for transformation of a VMware vSphere process. ask yourself: are the records needed as inputs to the VMware vSphere process available?
– What vendors make products that address the VMware vSphere needs?
VMware Infrastructure Critical Criteria:
Weigh in on VMware Infrastructure adoptions and check on ways to get started with VMware Infrastructure.
– How do we ensure that implementations of VMware vSphere products are done in a way that ensures safety?
– What about VMware vSphere Analysis of results?
Oracle VM Server for x86 Critical Criteria:
Scan Oracle VM Server for x86 management and create a map for yourself.
– How can you negotiate VMware vSphere successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
– What is our formula for success in VMware vSphere ?
– Why are VMware vSphere skills important?
Parallels Workstation Critical Criteria:
Bootstrap Parallels Workstation failures and attract Parallels Workstation skills.
– How will we insure seamless interoperability of VMware vSphere moving forward?
Parallels Desktop for Mac Critical Criteria:
Add value to Parallels Desktop for Mac strategies and oversee Parallels Desktop for Mac management by competencies.
– Have you identified your VMware vSphere key performance indicators?
Remote Desktop Services Critical Criteria:
Have a meeting on Remote Desktop Services projects and be persistent.
– Which statement is true about remote desktop services (rds)?
Virtual Extensible LAN Critical Criteria:
Depict Virtual Extensible LAN adoptions and report on the economics of relationships managing Virtual Extensible LAN and constraints.
– What management system can we use to leverage the VMware vSphere experience, ideas, and concerns of the people closest to the work to be done?
– Who will be responsible for documenting the VMware vSphere requirements in detail?
Virtual Iron Critical Criteria:
Add value to Virtual Iron engagements and devise Virtual Iron key steps.
– Does VMware vSphere analysis show the relationships among important VMware vSphere factors?
Parallels Server for Mac Critical Criteria:
Read up on Parallels Server for Mac risks and differentiate in coordinating Parallels Server for Mac.
– What are the record-keeping requirements of VMware vSphere activities?
Cloud computing Critical Criteria:
Scrutinze Cloud computing risks and suggest using storytelling to create more compelling Cloud computing projects.
– Data classification: how sensitive is the data that will be placed in the cloud (e.g., confidential, critical, public) and what controls should be in place to ensure it is properly protected?
– Have you considered what measures you will need to implement to ensure that the cloud provider complies with all applicable federal, state, and local privacy laws, including ferpa?
– To what extent do you believe the use of cloud computing will improve its ability to provide support for the business in the next two years?
– What are some common barriers to exiting transitioning from a cloud computing service provider and how can they be addressed?
– How do the end users of cloud computing know that their information is not having any availability and security issues?
– What does it take to become a cloud computing provider, and why would a company consider becoming one?
– Aare there recommended best practices to help us decide whether they should move to the cloud?
– What is the future scope for combination of business intelligence and cloud computing?
– what is the difference between an application service and an infrastructure service?
– How can cloud stakeholders ensure and promote the security of Cloud computing?
– Have you taken into account the vulnerabilities of the cloud solution?
– If your data is stored abroad whose foi policy do you adhere to?
– Will cloud computing lead to a reduction in it expenditure?
– What are some standards emerging around cloud computing?
– What are the benefits of cloud computing to consumers?
– What are the security issues around cloud computing?
– What percent of the market will not use cloud?
– Why is cloud security such a big challenge?
– How not to be locked in a SaaS system?
Software developer Critical Criteria:
Frame Software developer governance and define Software developer competency-based leadership.
– Can we add value to the current VMware vSphere decision-making process (largely qualitative) by incorporating uncertainty modeling (more quantitative)?
– Pick an experienced Unix software developer, show him all the algorithms and ask him which one he likes the best?
– In a project to restructure VMware vSphere outcomes, which stakeholders would you involve?
Hardware virtualization Critical Criteria:
Do a round table on Hardware virtualization tactics and use obstacles to break out of ruts.
– How do we manage VMware vSphere Knowledge Management (KM)?
– How do we go about Securing VMware vSphere?
Ulteo Open Virtual Desktop Critical Criteria:
Experiment with Ulteo Open Virtual Desktop risks and probe Ulteo Open Virtual Desktop strategic alliances.
– How do we maintain VMware vSpheres Integrity?
Solaris Containers Critical Criteria:
Map Solaris Containers goals and find answers.
– What are the key elements of your VMware vSphere performance improvement system, including your evaluation, organizational learning, and innovation processes?
– Is VMware vSphere dependent on the successful delivery of a current project?
VMware VMFS Critical Criteria:
Test VMware VMFS visions and find out.
– Consider your own VMware vSphere project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
– What are our VMware vSphere Processes?
VMware ThinApp Critical Criteria:
Audit VMware ThinApp management and raise human resource and employment practices for VMware ThinApp.
– How can skill-level changes improve VMware vSphere?
– What threat is VMware vSphere addressing?
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Critical Criteria:
Gauge Red Hat Enterprise Linux leadership and point out improvements in Red Hat Enterprise Linux.
– What are the usability implications of VMware vSphere actions?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the VMware vSphere Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
VMware vSphere External links:
What is VMware vSphere? – Definition from WhatIs.com
VMware Server External links:
VMware Server Virtualization | Managed vSphere | Rackspace
VMware Server – Download
Dedicated VMware Server Hosting – Cybercon Data Center
Windows on Windows External links:
Divvy Splits Up and Organizes Windows on Windows and …
Windows On Windows – YouTube
Basilisk II External links:
Basilisk II – Android Apps on Google Play
Basilisk II – Official Site
SimplePlanes | Basilisk II
Open vSwitch External links:
Introduction to Open vSwitch (OVS) – YouTube
VXLAN overlay networks with Open vSwitch – YouTube
ICore Virtual Accounts External links:
iCore Virtual Accounts alternatives – similar apps
ICore Virtual Accounts – WOW.com
ICore Virtual Accounts – Revolvy
https://www.revolvy.com/topic/ICore Virtual Accounts
Proprietary software External links:
Proprietary Software for Free | USC Spatial Sciences Institute
Proprietary Software Definition – LINFO
Proprietary Software and the Institutional Researcher. – …
VCloud Air External links:
vCloud Air Use Cases | vCloud Air by VMware
vCloud Air powered by OVH
VMware vCloud Air – User Management
Software license External links:
Engineering Licenses – OpenLM Software License Management
QuickBooks Terms of Service & Software License …
Microsoft Software License Terms
Proxmox VE External links:
Learning Proxmox VE | PACKT Books
Proxmox VE:About – Proxmox VE
Proxmox VE Reviews | G2 Crowd
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server External links:
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 SP3 Full Support statement
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server from HPE OID5379857 | …
[PDF]Advanced SUSE Linux Enterprise Server …
VMware vSphere External links:
What is VMware vSphere? – Definition from WhatIs.com
Cooperative Linux External links:
Condor and Cooperative Linux Honors College Undergraduate Thesis Defense Marc Noël December 2006
http://Silicon Labs Ember® EM35x Integrated ZigBee/802.15.4 SoC
[PDF]Condor and Cooperative Linux – Innovative
Windows Server 2008 R2 External links:
Windows Server 2008 R2 | Products | Avnet Microsoft …
Windows Server 2008 R2 is a serveroperating system produced by Microsoft. It was released to manufacturing (RTM) on July 22, 2009 and launched on October 22, 2009. According to the Windows Server Team blog, the retail availability was September 14, 2009.
Virtual machine External links:
Virtual Machine Scale Sets | Microsoft Azure
VMware vCenter Converter: P2V Virtual Machine Converter
VMware Workstation External links:
VMware Workstation – Download
[PDF]VMware Workstation 8 – sils.unc.edu
Buy VMware Workstation™ 14 – #1 Choice of IT Professionals
http://Ad · store.vmware.com/Official-Store/Workstation-Buy
Virtual security switch External links:
Virtual security switch – Revolvy
https://update.revolvy.com/topic/Virtual security switch
Linux namespaces External links:
HOWTO use Linux namespaces with ns-3 – Nsnam
Windows Virtual PC External links:
Windows Virtual PC and Windows XP Mode – technet.microsoft.com
Description of Windows Virtual PC – support.microsoft.com
Oracle VM Server for SPARC External links:
[PDF]Oracle VM Server for SPARC
Oracle Vm Server For Sparc – go4hosting.in
[PDF]Oracle VM Server for SPARC Installation and
Software release life cycle External links:
Skill Pages – Software release life cycle | Dice.com
Citrix XenApp External links:
[PDF]Title : Citrix XenApp 6.5 Administration – Test4actual
Citrix XenApp 6.0 | FileMaker Community
HQDA Citrix XenApp Application Portal
Application virtualization External links:
landesk application virtualization jobs | Dice.com
Application Virtualization Engineer – SCCM Architects
VMware Horizon View External links:
VMware Horizon View
NYCHHC – VMware Horizon View
VMware Horizon View – Students
Windows 7 External links:
How to easily Factory Reset a Windows 7 PC – YouTube
10 ways to speed up Windows 7 – TechRepublic
Go back to Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 – support.microsoft.com
Microsoft App-V External links:
Microsoft App-V – Virtual Applications | TechNet
Network virtualization External links:
VMware NSX : Network Virtualization and Security Platform
Network Virtualization Articles, White Papers, Videos, & …
VMware Infrastructure External links:
VMware Infrastructure Planner
Managing a VMware Infrastructure in VMM
Designing VMware Infrastructure | Pluralsight
Oracle VM Server for x86 External links:
[PDF]Oracle VM Server for X86 Virtualization and …
[PDF]Oracle VM Server for x86 Virtualization and …
Parallels Workstation External links:
Parallels Workstation – Free Download
Parallels Workstation | Tufts Technology Services
Parallels Workstation – Download
Parallels Desktop for Mac External links:
Downloads Parallels Desktop for Mac Pro Edition | Imagine
Buy Parallels Desktop for Mac
Remote Desktop Services External links:
Remote Desktop Services tools are not functional after …
NuoRDS – Remote Desktop Services for Mac computers
What’s New in Remote Desktop Services in Windows Server
Virtual Extensible LAN External links:
VIRTUAL EXTENSIBLE LAN TUNNEL KEEPALIVES – …
Virtual Extensible LAN – Revolvy
https://www.revolvy.com/topic/Virtual Extensible LAN&item_type=topic
Virtual Iron External links:
Virtual Iron Software | Crunchbase
[PDF]Virtual Iron Network – University at Buffalo
[PDF]USING VIRTUAL IRON 4.5 WITH SAN STORAGE – Oracle
Cloud computing External links:
ClearDATA – Secure, HIPAA Compliant Cloud Computing
Cloud Computing and Data Center Infrastructure as a Service
REAN Cloud – Managed Services | Cloud Computing | …
Software developer External links:
Software Developer Salary – PayScale
[PDF]Job Description for Software Developer. Title: …
Title Software Developer Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com
Hardware virtualization External links:
[Update] Bypass The Hardware Virtualization Requirement …
Ulteo Open Virtual Desktop External links:
DistroWatch.com: Ulteo Open Virtual Desktop
Ulteo Open Virtual Desktop
Ulteo Open Virtual Desktop
Solaris Containers External links:
SAM and Solaris Containers |THWACK
14554291 Solaris Containers | File System | Operating …
VMware VMFS External links:
[PDF]Using a VNXe Sytem with VMware NFS or VMware VMFS
Red Hat Enterprise Linux External links:
Red Hat Enterprise Linux – Official Site
Red Hat solutions – Red Hat Enterprise Linux | Microsoft Azure
Red Hat Enterprise Linux WFONE Port 8080 Test Page