What is involved in Network monitoring
Find out what the related areas are that Network monitoring connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Network monitoring thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Network monitoring journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Network monitoring leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Network monitoring related domains to cover and 110 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Network monitoring, Business service management, Check MK, Comparison of network monitoring systems, Computer and network surveillance, Computer network, Computer networks, Domain name system, End-to-end delay, File Transfer Protocol, High availability, HyperText Transfer Protocol, Internet Control Message Protocol, Internet Message Access Protocol, Intrusion detection system, Network Monitoring Interface Card, Network administrator, Network management, Network tap, Network tomography, Network traffic measurement, Post Office Protocol, Response time, Round-trip delay time, Route analytics, Secure Shell, Secure Sockets Layer, Session Initiation Protocol, Short Message Service, Simple Mail Transfer Protocol, Simple Network Management Protocol, System monitor, Transmission Control Protocol, User Datagram Protocol, Viavi Solutions, Vigilo NMS, Web server, Website monitoring:
Network monitoring Critical Criteria:
Recall Network monitoring outcomes and change contexts.
– What other organizational variables, such as reward systems or communication systems, affect the performance of this Network monitoring process?
– What are the top 3 things at the forefront of our Network monitoring agendas for the next 3 years?
– Are accountability and ownership for Network monitoring clearly defined?
Business service management Critical Criteria:
Consult on Business service management risks and find the ideas you already have.
– How can you negotiate Network monitoring successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
– Meeting the challenge: are missed Network monitoring opportunities costing us money?
– What is our Network monitoring Strategy?
Check MK Critical Criteria:
Disseminate Check MK goals and create a map for yourself.
– How important is Network monitoring to the user organizations mission?
– What are the Essentials of Internal Network monitoring Management?
Comparison of network monitoring systems Critical Criteria:
Infer Comparison of network monitoring systems engagements and create Comparison of network monitoring systems explanations for all managers.
– What is the purpose of Network monitoring in relation to the mission?
– What is Effective Network monitoring?
Computer and network surveillance Critical Criteria:
Exchange ideas about Computer and network surveillance decisions and budget the knowledge transfer for any interested in Computer and network surveillance.
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good Network monitoring project manager?
– What are your most important goals for the strategic Network monitoring objectives?
– How do we go about Comparing Network monitoring approaches/solutions?
Computer network Critical Criteria:
Prioritize Computer network leadership and get going.
– What are the success criteria that will indicate that Network monitoring objectives have been met and the benefits delivered?
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing Network monitoring?
– Is the illegal entry into a private computer network a crime in your country?
– Why should we adopt a Network monitoring framework?
Computer networks Critical Criteria:
Analyze Computer networks leadership and frame using storytelling to create more compelling Computer networks projects.
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once Network monitoring is put into production (e.g., ongoing Risk Management after implementation)?
– Is there any existing Network monitoring governance structure?
– How much does Network monitoring help?
Domain name system Critical Criteria:
Align Domain name system goals and observe effective Domain name system.
– What are the key elements of your Network monitoring performance improvement system, including your evaluation, organizational learning, and innovation processes?
End-to-end delay Critical Criteria:
Look at End-to-end delay strategies and adopt an insight outlook.
– What tools do you use once you have decided on a Network monitoring strategy and more importantly how do you choose?
– What new services of functionality will be implemented next with Network monitoring ?
– Do we all define Network monitoring in the same way?
File Transfer Protocol Critical Criteria:
Reason over File Transfer Protocol decisions and get the big picture.
– Have all basic functions of Network monitoring been defined?
– What are internal and external Network monitoring relations?
High availability Critical Criteria:
Check High availability strategies and summarize a clear High availability focus.
– What are some of our practices for having application consistent snapshots across multiple persistent storage systems for disaster recovery and or high availability purposes?
– How can we incorporate support to ensure safe and effective use of Network monitoring into the services that we provide?
– Should the deployment occur in high availability mode or should we configure in bypass mode?
– What are our needs in relation to Network monitoring skills, labor, equipment, and markets?
– How can sdn be applied in the context of disaster recovery and high availability?
– Are our applications designed for high availability and disaster recovery?
– Is the application designed for high availability and disaster recovery?
– What are the short and long-term Network monitoring goals?
HyperText Transfer Protocol Critical Criteria:
Administer HyperText Transfer Protocol failures and oversee HyperText Transfer Protocol requirements.
– How do senior leaders actions reflect a commitment to the organizations Network monitoring values?
– In what ways are Network monitoring vendors and us interacting to ensure safe and effective use?
Internet Control Message Protocol Critical Criteria:
Reason over Internet Control Message Protocol quality and mentor Internet Control Message Protocol customer orientation.
– Does Network monitoring analysis show the relationships among important Network monitoring factors?
Internet Message Access Protocol Critical Criteria:
Check Internet Message Access Protocol strategies and catalog what business benefits will Internet Message Access Protocol goals deliver if achieved.
– Will Network monitoring deliverables need to be tested and, if so, by whom?
– How can skill-level changes improve Network monitoring?
Intrusion detection system Critical Criteria:
Accommodate Intrusion detection system adoptions and get going.
– Can intrusion detection systems be configured to ignore activity that is generated by authorized scanner operation?
– Do several people in different organizational units assist with the Network monitoring process?
– What is the source of the strategies for Network monitoring strengthening and reform?
– What is a limitation of a server-based intrusion detection system (ids)?
Network Monitoring Interface Card Critical Criteria:
Consider Network Monitoring Interface Card engagements and look for lots of ideas.
– What tools and technologies are needed for a custom Network monitoring project?
– What are all of our Network monitoring domains and what do they do?
Network administrator Critical Criteria:
Read up on Network administrator projects and work towards be a leading Network administrator expert.
– You work as a network administrator for mcrobert inc. the company has a tcp/ip-based network. which of the following information should be documented to facilitate disaster recovery?
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective Network monitoring leader?
Network management Critical Criteria:
Accommodate Network management risks and work towards be a leading Network management expert.
– Think about the kind of project structure that would be appropriate for your Network monitoring project. should it be formal and complex, or can it be less formal and relatively simple?
– In a project to restructure Network monitoring outcomes, which stakeholders would you involve?
Network tap Critical Criteria:
Check Network tap results and probe the present value of growth of Network tap.
– Does Network monitoring include applications and information with regulatory compliance significance (or other contractual conditions that must be formally complied with) in a new or unique manner for which no approved security requirements, templates or design models exist?
– How do we ensure that implementations of Network monitoring products are done in a way that ensures safety?
– Have you identified your Network monitoring key performance indicators?
Network tomography Critical Criteria:
Test Network tomography failures and explore and align the progress in Network tomography.
– What management system can we use to leverage the Network monitoring experience, ideas, and concerns of the people closest to the work to be done?
– Who will be responsible for documenting the Network monitoring requirements in detail?
Network traffic measurement Critical Criteria:
Facilitate Network traffic measurement decisions and grade techniques for implementing Network traffic measurement controls.
– What business benefits will Network monitoring goals deliver if achieved?
– Are there recognized Network monitoring problems?
– Is the scope of Network monitoring defined?
Post Office Protocol Critical Criteria:
Grasp Post Office Protocol risks and budget the knowledge transfer for any interested in Post Office Protocol.
– What are the barriers to increased Network monitoring production?
– How do we manage Network monitoring Knowledge Management (KM)?
Response time Critical Criteria:
Think carefully about Response time visions and plan concise Response time education.
– Have we thought of cost, functionality,vendor support, vendor viability, quality of documentation, ease of learning, ease of use, ease of installation, response time, throughput, version?
– Does one expect an improvement in availability or response times that will result in increased user satisfaction?
– Does Network monitoring systematically track and analyze outcomes for accountability and quality improvement?
– Does Network monitoring analysis isolate the fundamental causes of problems?
Round-trip delay time Critical Criteria:
Consolidate Round-trip delay time governance and use obstacles to break out of ruts.
– Who will be responsible for making the decisions to include or exclude requested changes once Network monitoring is underway?
– Will new equipment/products be required to facilitate Network monitoring delivery for example is new software needed?
– Do you monitor the effectiveness of your Network monitoring activities?
Route analytics Critical Criteria:
Track Route analytics failures and cater for concise Route analytics education.
– For your Network monitoring project, identify and describe the business environment. is there more than one layer to the business environment?
– Do we monitor the Network monitoring decisions made and fine tune them as they evolve?
Secure Shell Critical Criteria:
Concentrate on Secure Shell management and don’t overlook the obvious.
– How do we measure improved Network monitoring service perception, and satisfaction?
Secure Sockets Layer Critical Criteria:
Accumulate Secure Sockets Layer issues and track iterative Secure Sockets Layer results.
– Which individuals, teams or departments will be involved in Network monitoring?
Session Initiation Protocol Critical Criteria:
Understand Session Initiation Protocol risks and probe using an integrated framework to make sure Session Initiation Protocol is getting what it needs.
– Can we do Network monitoring without complex (expensive) analysis?
Short Message Service Critical Criteria:
Coach on Short Message Service planning and report on the economics of relationships managing Short Message Service and constraints.
– What are the Key enablers to make this Network monitoring move?
– How will you measure your Network monitoring effectiveness?
Simple Mail Transfer Protocol Critical Criteria:
Value Simple Mail Transfer Protocol planning and observe effective Simple Mail Transfer Protocol.
– Among the Network monitoring product and service cost to be estimated, which is considered hardest to estimate?
– Are there any disadvantages to implementing Network monitoring? There might be some that are less obvious?
– Do Network monitoring rules make a reasonable demand on a users capabilities?
Simple Network Management Protocol Critical Criteria:
Test Simple Network Management Protocol risks and create Simple Network Management Protocol explanations for all managers.
– Can we add value to the current Network monitoring decision-making process (largely qualitative) by incorporating uncertainty modeling (more quantitative)?
System monitor Critical Criteria:
Mine System monitor management and arbitrate System monitor techniques that enhance teamwork and productivity.
– How to Secure Network monitoring?
Transmission Control Protocol Critical Criteria:
Give examples of Transmission Control Protocol engagements and perfect Transmission Control Protocol conflict management.
– How can the value of Network monitoring be defined?
User Datagram Protocol Critical Criteria:
Bootstrap User Datagram Protocol governance and visualize why should people listen to you regarding User Datagram Protocol.
– How is the value delivered by Network monitoring being measured?
Viavi Solutions Critical Criteria:
Differentiate Viavi Solutions engagements and adjust implementation of Viavi Solutions.
– Are we making progress? and are we making progress as Network monitoring leaders?
– Which Network monitoring goals are the most important?
– Why is Network monitoring important for you now?
Vigilo NMS Critical Criteria:
Track Vigilo NMS tasks and interpret which customers can’t participate in Vigilo NMS because they lack skills.
– Consider your own Network monitoring project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
Web server Critical Criteria:
Investigate Web server quality and create a map for yourself.
– Are web servers located on a publicly reachable network segment separated from the internal network by a firewall (dmz)?
– Do we know what we have specified in continuity of operations plans and disaster recovery plans?
– Is maximizing Network monitoring protection the same as minimizing Network monitoring loss?
Website monitoring Critical Criteria:
Differentiate Website monitoring decisions and give examples utilizing a core of simple Website monitoring skills.
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving Network monitoring forward?
– What is our formula for success in Network monitoring ?
– What are the long-term Network monitoring goals?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Network monitoring Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Network monitoring External links:
APCON Intelligent Network Monitoring
Network monitoring software – PRTG | Paessler
Network Monitoring Software WhatsUp Gold – Ipswitch
Business service management External links:
Business Service Management(BSM) Solutions – Wipro
Login – HP Business Service Management
HP Business Service Management (BSM) Overview – …
Check MK External links:
Check MK – Official Site
Comparison of network monitoring systems External links:
Comparison of network monitoring systems | Speedy …
Comparison of network monitoring systems |THWACK
Computer and network surveillance External links:
Computer and network surveillance – revolvy.com
https://www.revolvy.com/topic/Computer and network surveillance
Computer and network surveillance | The Meaning
Computer network External links:
Remote services, computer network, PC Health Check – …
How to find my computer network name – Mil Incorporated
Technical Support | Computer Repair | Computer Network
Computer networks External links:
Computer Networks: Crash Course Computer Science #28 – …
Causes of Lag on Computer Networks and Online – Lifewire
Computer Networks Exam 2 Flashcards | Quizlet
Domain name system External links:
What Is DNS? (Definition of Domain Name System) – Lifewire
[PDF]Secure Domain Name System (DNS) Deployment Guide
SixEleven Coin – Blockchain Domain Name System
End-to-end delay External links:
End-to-End Delay Approximation in Cascades of …
What is the difference between end-to-end delay and …
File Transfer Protocol External links:
What is File Transfer Protocol – FTP | Serv-U
File Transfer Protocol Application – Redirect
High availability External links:
IT High Availability Disaster Recovery Plans with Rackspace
High Availability Replication Software | EVault & DoubleTake
Planning for High Availability with Configuration Manager
HyperText Transfer Protocol External links:
HTTP – Hypertext Transfer Protocol Overview
Internet Control Message Protocol External links:
Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMP) Parameters
Internet Control Message Protocol – technet.microsoft.com
ICMP and ICMPv6 – Internet Control Message Protocol – …
Internet Message Access Protocol External links:
Internet Message Access Protocol, v.4 (IMAP4)
Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP) Capabilities …
Intrusion detection system External links:
Intrusion Detection System Design and Installation
Network administrator External links:
Network Administrator – Job Description and Facts
Network Administrator Job Description Examples | …
Network Administrator, IT Salary – PayScale
Network management External links:
APC UPS Network Management Card (NMC) Compatibility …
UNMS – Ubiquiti Network Management System
HOW TO: Configure the Simple Network Management …
Network tap External links:
Network Tap & More | Dualcomm
Network Tap | eBay
Buy Dualcomm 10/100/1000Base-T Gigabit Network TAP: Switches – Amazon.com FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases
Network tomography External links:
Patent US6839754 – Network tomography using closely …
Network Tomography | Network Monitoring | NetBeez
Network traffic measurement External links:
Network Traffic Measurement and Analysis Conference – …
Post Office Protocol External links:
How POP3 Service Works: Post Office Protocol version 3 …
POP (Post Office Protocol) Basics in Email – Lifewire
What is Post Office Protocol (POP)? Webopedia Definition
Response time External links:
What Is An Appropriate Response Time To Email?
Bitcatcha – Speed Test Your Website Server (Response Time)
Thermocouple Response Time – OMEGA Engineering
Round-trip delay time External links:
Round-trip delay time – YouTube
Secure Shell External links:
[PPT]Secure Shell – SSH
sharpSsh – A Secure Shell (SSH) library for .NET – CodeProject
http://www.codeproject.com › … › Internet / Network › Network
What is Secure Shell (SSH)? – Definition from WhatIs.com
Secure Sockets Layer External links:
What Is SSL (Secure Sockets Layer)? | DigiCert.com
INET Error code 0x800c0019L. The Secure Sockets Layer …
What is SSL (Secure Sockets Layer)? – ssl2buy.com
Session Initiation Protocol External links:
Session Initiation Protocol | Android Developers
Short Message Service External links:
Nokia old short message service (sms) tone 1 – YouTube
What is SMS – Short Message Service? Webopedia Definition
Short Message Service (SMS) Message Format
Simple Mail Transfer Protocol External links:
Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) Relay – CDT Services
What is the Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP)?
Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) Enhanced Status …
Simple Network Management Protocol External links:
What Is SNMP?: Simple Network Management Protocol …
Simple Network Management Protocol—SNMP—A Quick …
System monitor External links:
The Best System Monitor for Windows – Lifehacker
System monitor and service status | Barclays
Get System Monitor – Microsoft Store
Transmission Control Protocol External links:
Transmission Control Protocol – technet.microsoft.com
TCP (Transmission Control Protocol) Explained – Lifewire
User Datagram Protocol External links:
UDP (User Datagram Protocol) Definition – Lifewire
User Datagram Protocol (UDP) – Techopedia.com
Wireshark · Display Filter Reference: User Datagram Protocol
Viavi Solutions External links:
VIAVI Solutions Inc. – Home
Viavi Solutions – VIAV – Stock Price & News | The Motley Fool
Software Downloads and Updates | VIAVI Solutions Inc.
Web server External links:
What is Web server? – Definition from WhatIs.com
ProjectWise Web Server
How to Make a Raspberry Pi Web Server | DIY Hacking
Website monitoring External links:
Uptrends – Website Monitoring and Web Performance …
Evidon | Website Monitoring Platform