What is involved in Data Management
Find out what the related areas are that Data Management connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Data Management thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Enterprise Metadata Management journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Enterprise Metadata Management leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Data Management related domains to cover and 409 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Data Management, Enterprise architecture, Database management system, Random access, Business intelligence, Document management, Records management, Data erasure, Information architecture, Postal code, Identity management, Reference data, Solution stack, Data architecture, Data steward, Data warehouse, Marketing operations, Process Management, Data curation, Data retention, Controlled vocabulary, Data analysis, Data security, Document management system, Big data, Database administration, Competence Center Corporate Data Quality, CRM software, Information design, Data governance, Data proliferation, Knowledge management, Data privacy, Digital preservation, Data cleansing, Business continuity planning, Open data, Metadata discovery, Information system, Computer data storage, Data mining, Data asset, Information Lifecycle Management, Metadata registry, Data maintenance, Information management, Data management plan, ERP software, Information ladder, Email address, Data quality, System integration, Metadata publishing, Relational database, Information repository, Data integration, Data theft, Master data management, Data integrity, Performance report, Corporate Data Quality Management, Data processing, Machine-Readable Documents, Data quality assurance, Data mart, Data Management, Management fad, Data modeling, Extract, transform, load, Identity theft, Data enrichment, Hierarchical storage management, Customer data integration:
Data Management Critical Criteria:
Grasp Data Management quality and know what your objective is.
– Is it necessary only to make the metadata discoverable, with links to the data files, or is deeper support for manipulating the data needed?
– Identifying what tasks require a particular tool –which tasks associated with the current configuration use a particular tool?
– Have you reviewed the data, such as selecting a random sample, looking for outliers, graphing and plotting the data?
– If you are obtaining data from an outside source, will you be able to store a local copy of the data?
– Are there any data with intellectual property (e.g., patent, copyright) concerns with sharing?
– Should the dataset be deposited in a national, international or discipline-based data center?
– Are there any security or sensitivity issues that might preclude you from sharing the data?
– How can we ensure that the data we collect is organized so we can find it when we need it?
– How might the dataset be licensed or access fees charged to re-users if rights exist?
– Which digital and non-digital data will be stored or archived after the project?
– Can product data be used as an aid in the creation and maintenance of PLCS data?
– How will you ensure all staff used the same data sources and data definitions?
– Where and for how long will data be stored or archived after the project?
– Does your project or program have a specific repository for your data?
– Have you checked all possible sources for your data needs?
– Where will the data and data management plan be stored?
– Who is responsible for updating the metadata?
– What are all the likely uses for the data?
– How is good Data Management achieved?
– How will the data be captured?
Enterprise architecture Critical Criteria:
Look at Enterprise architecture planning and oversee Enterprise architecture requirements.
– With the increasing adoption of cloud computing do you think enterprise architecture as a discipline will become more or less important to us and why?
– Is there a Data Management Communication plan covering who needs to get what information when?
– Enterprise architecture planning. how does it align with to the to be architecture?
– What new services of functionality will be implemented next with Data Management ?
– How does the standard fit into the Federal Enterprise Architecture (FEA)?
– Are Enterprise JavaBeans still relevant for enterprise architectures?
– Are software assets aligned with the agency enterprise architecture?
– Are the levels and focus right for TOGAF enterprise architecture?
– Are software assets aligned with the organizations enterprise architecture?
– Is there any existing Data Management governance structure?
– Is There a Role for Patterns in Enterprise Architecture?
– What is the value of mature Enterprise Architecture?
– Why Should we Consider Enterprise Architecture?
– What is an Enterprise Architecture?
– What Is Enterprise Architecture?
– Why Enterprise Architecture?
Database management system Critical Criteria:
Derive from Database management system failures and diversify disclosure of information – dealing with confidential Database management system information.
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once Data Management is put into production (e.g., ongoing Risk Management after implementation)?
– What database management systems have been implemented?
– How much does Data Management help?
Random access Critical Criteria:
Grasp Random access failures and assess and formulate effective operational and Random access strategies.
– What tools and technologies are needed for a custom Data Management project?
– Have the types of risks that may impact Data Management been identified and analyzed?
Business intelligence Critical Criteria:
Mix Business intelligence projects and find the ideas you already have.
– Self-service analysis is meaningless unless users can trust that the data comes from an approved source and is up to date. Does your BI solution create a strong partnership with IT to ensure that data, whether from extracts or live connections, is 100-percent accurate?
– Does your BI solution honor distinctions with dashboards that automatically authenticate and provide the appropriate level of detail based on a users privileges to the data source?
– What is the importance of knowing the key performance indicators KPIs for a business process when trying to implement a business intelligence system?
– Are NoSQL databases used primarily for applications or are they used in Business Intelligence use cases as well?
– Can you filter, drill down, or add entirely new data to your visualization with mobile editing?
– What is the difference between a data scientist and a business intelligence analyst?
– Is business intelligence set to play a key role in the future of human resources?
– What is the difference between business intelligence and business analytics?
– Does your BI solution help you find the right views to examine your data?
– What BI functionality do we need, and what are we using today?
– What are the main full web business intelligence solutions?
– Is your software easy for IT to manage and upgrade?
– How is Business Intelligence related to CRM?
– Is the product accessible from the internet?
– Can your product map ad-hoc query results?
– What is your expect product life cycle?
– Do you offer formal user training?
– Do you support video integration?
– What is your annual maintenance?
Document management Critical Criteria:
Value Document management adoptions and gather practices for scaling Document management.
– What are our best practices for minimizing Data Management project risk, while demonstrating incremental value and quick wins throughout the Data Management project lifecycle?
– What is the role of digital document management in business continuity planning management?
– Are assumptions made in Data Management stated explicitly?
– Who sets the Data Management standards?
Records management Critical Criteria:
Concentrate on Records management adoptions and finalize specific methods for Records management acceptance.
– Have records center personnel received training on the records management aspects of the Quality Assurance program?
– What are internal and external Data Management relations?
– How can skill-level changes improve Data Management?
– How do we maintain Data Managements Integrity?
Data erasure Critical Criteria:
Interpolate Data erasure management and report on the economics of relationships managing Data erasure and constraints.
– What are current Data Management Paradigms?
– How do we keep improving Data Management?
– Is Data Management Required?
Information architecture Critical Criteria:
Model after Information architecture goals and customize techniques for implementing Information architecture controls.
– Have the requirements for delivering the information over multiple channels (Browser, Voice, etc.) been determined?
– The kind of information the user wants: Do they want just a taste, or are they doing comprehensive research?
– How much information is being searched: Will users be overwhelmed by the number of documents retrieved?
– Is there a plan for documenting who the users of this information are and how they will use it?
– How is critical business information classified (e.g., citizen, education, criminal, driver)?
– If the information architecture and design has been completed, are they reasonably uniform?
– What can we present to the user on the web that cannot be done as well in any other medium?
– Is there a requirement to measure and evaluate the volume of information being generated?
– Does it encompass all the possibilities that your site may eventually need to include?
– Have advanced search types been considered and evaluated for use?
– Are the reliability requirements for the information determined?
– Are there any information policies that should be followed?
– What about people who are not sure if something is there?
– What types of tasks should users be able to perform?
– How about a tear-away table of contents feature?
– What operating system does your computer use?
– How is search zone indexing set up?
– Is there a metadata strategy?
– What is Service Design?
Postal code Critical Criteria:
Design Postal code decisions and find answers.
– What is the source of the strategies for Data Management strengthening and reform?
– What are the record-keeping requirements of Data Management activities?
– Is the scope of Data Management defined?
Identity management Critical Criteria:
Revitalize Identity management visions and transcribe Identity management as tomorrows backbone for success.
– With so many identity management systems proposed, the big question is which one, if any, will provide the identity solution to become standard across the internet?
– Do we keep track of who the leading providers of identity management products and services are, and what are their key offerings, differentiators and strategies?
– How is the market for identity management evolving in new technologies, market trends and drivers, and user requirements?
– Did we develop our saas identity management solution in house or was it acquired from other vendors?
– Complement identity management and help desk solutions with closedloop import and export?
– Does Data Management analysis isolate the fundamental causes of problems?
– What is the security -life cycle identity management business case?
– What are the identity management facilities of the provider?
– What is a secure identity management infrastructure?
– What is identity management to us (idm)?
– How can identity management help?
– Are there Data Management Models?
– What about identity management?
Reference data Critical Criteria:
Deduce Reference data management and assess and formulate effective operational and Reference data strategies.
– Is Data Management dependent on the successful delivery of a current project?
– Think of your Data Management project. what are the main functions?
– How would one define Data Management leadership?
Solution stack Critical Criteria:
Use past Solution stack projects and create a map for yourself.
– For your Data Management project, identify and describe the business environment. is there more than one layer to the business environment?
– Why is Data Management important for you now?
Data architecture Critical Criteria:
Consult on Data architecture engagements and ask what if.
– Can we describe the data architecture and relationship between key variables. for example, are data stored in a spreadsheet with one row for each person/entity, a relational database, or some other format?
– Do we need an enterprise data warehouse, a Data Lake, or both as part of our overall data architecture?
– Does your bi software work well with both centralized and decentralized data architectures and vendors?
– How will we insure seamless interoperability of Data Management moving forward?
– Are there recognized Data Management problems?
– What is our Data Management Strategy?
Data steward Critical Criteria:
Track Data steward results and describe which business rules are needed as Data steward interface.
– Have data stewards (e.g.,program managers) responsible for coordinating data governance activities been identified and assigned to each specific domain of activity?
– Which customers cant participate in our Data Management domain because they lack skills, wealth, or convenient access to existing solutions?
– Are accountability and ownership for Data Management clearly defined?
– Does the Data Management task fit the clients priorities?
– Other data stewards?
Data warehouse Critical Criteria:
Guide Data warehouse adoptions and cater for concise Data warehouse education.
– Where do ideas that reach policy makers and planners as proposals for Data Management strengthening and reform actually originate?
– What tier data server has been identified for the storage of decision support data contained in a data warehouse?
– Who is responsible for ensuring appropriate resources (time, people and money) are allocated to Data Management?
– What does a typical data warehouse and business intelligence organizational structure look like?
– Does big data threaten the traditional data warehouse business intelligence model stack?
– Is data warehouseing necessary for our business intelligence service?
– Is Data Warehouseing necessary for a business intelligence service?
– What is the difference between a database and data warehouse?
– What is the purpose of data warehouses and data marts?
– What are alternatives to building a data warehouse?
– Do we offer a good introduction to data warehouse?
– How will you measure your Data Management effectiveness?
– Do you still need a data warehouse?
– Centralized data warehouse?
Marketing operations Critical Criteria:
Participate in Marketing operations outcomes and separate what are the business goals Marketing operations is aiming to achieve.
– How do your measurements capture actionable Data Management information for use in exceeding your customers expectations and securing your customers engagement?
– How do we know that any Data Management analysis is complete and comprehensive?
– What is the purpose of Data Management in relation to the mission?
Process Management Critical Criteria:
Generalize Process Management issues and create Process Management explanations for all managers.
– Think about the people you identified for your Data Management project and the project responsibilities you would assign to them. what kind of training do you think they would need to perform these responsibilities effectively?
– Record-keeping requirements flow from the records needed as inputs, outputs, controls and for transformation of a Data Management process. ask yourself: are the records needed as inputs to the Data Management process available?
– What process management and improvement tools are we using PDSA/PDCA, ISO 9000, Lean, Balanced Scorecard, Six Sigma, something else?
– What are the short and long-term Data Management goals?
Data curation Critical Criteria:
Guard Data curation strategies and separate what are the business goals Data curation is aiming to achieve.
– A compounding model resolution with available relevant data can often provide insight towards a solution methodology; which Data Management models, tools and techniques are necessary?
– How do you determine the key elements that affect Data Management workforce satisfaction? how are these elements determined for different workforce groups and segments?
– Do you monitor the effectiveness of your Data Management activities?
Data retention Critical Criteria:
Canvass Data retention projects and finalize the present value of growth of Data retention.
– Traditional data protection principles include fair and lawful data processing; data collection for specified, explicit, and legitimate purposes; accurate and kept up-to-date data; data retention for no longer than necessary. Are additional principles and requirements necessary for IoT applications?
– Do the Data Management decisions we make today help people and the planet tomorrow?
Controlled vocabulary Critical Criteria:
Concentrate on Controlled vocabulary projects and reinforce and communicate particularly sensitive Controlled vocabulary decisions.
– How can we incorporate support to ensure safe and effective use of Data Management into the services that we provide?
– What are specific Data Management Rules to follow?
Data analysis Critical Criteria:
Accumulate Data analysis issues and define what our big hairy audacious Data analysis goal is.
– Will Data Management have an impact on current business continuity, disaster recovery processes and/or infrastructure?
– What is the difference between Data Analytics Data Analysis Data Mining and Data Science?
– What are your most important goals for the strategic Data Management objectives?
– How is the value delivered by Data Management being measured?
– What are some real time data analysis frameworks?
Data security Critical Criteria:
Meet over Data security tasks and explore and align the progress in Data security.
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your Data Management strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
– Does the cloud solution offer equal or greater data security capabilities than those provided by your organizations data center?
– What are the minimum data security requirements for a database containing personal financial transaction records?
– Do these concerns about data security negate the value of storage-as-a-service in the cloud?
– What are the challenges related to cloud computing data security?
– So, what should you do to mitigate these risks to data security?
– What business benefits will Data Management goals deliver if achieved?
– Does it contain data security obligations?
– What is Data Security at Physical Layer?
– What is Data Security at Network Layer?
– How do we go about Securing Data Management?
– How will you manage data security?
Document management system Critical Criteria:
Experiment with Document management system management and be persistent.
– What may be the consequences for the performance of an organization if all stakeholders are not consulted regarding Data Management?
– Does Data Management appropriately measure and monitor risk?
Big data Critical Criteria:
Concentrate on Big data management and perfect Big data conflict management.
– Does your organization have the right tools to handle unstructured data expressed in (a) natural language(s)?
– What are some strategies for capacity planning for big data processing and cloud computing?
– Future: Given the focus on Big Data where should the Chief Executive for these initiatives report?
– Wheres the evidence that using big data intelligently will improve business performance?
– Does the in situ hardware have the computational capacity to support such algorithms?
– How close to the edge can we push the filtering and compression algorithms?
– How will systems and methods evolve to remove Big Data solution weaknesses?
– What are the new developments that are included in Big Data solutions?
– When we plan and design, how well do we capture previous experience?
– Is data-driven decision-making part of the organizations culture?
– Can analyses improve with more detailed analytics that we use?
– Can we really afford to store and process all that data?
– How fast can we determine changes in the incoming data?
– From which country is your organization from?
– So how are managers using big data?
– What is Advanced Analytics?
– Are we Using Data To Win?
– What s limiting the task?
– Who is collecting what?
Database administration Critical Criteria:
Pilot Database administration adoptions and know what your objective is.
– Rapid application development (rad) techniques have been around for about two decades now and have been used with varying degrees of success. sometimes rad is required for certain projects. but rad can be bad for database design. why?
– Disaster recovery planning, also called contingency planning, is the process of preparing your organizations assets and operations in case of a disaster. but what do we define as a disaster?
– what is the best design framework for Data Management organization now that, in a post industrial-age if the top-down, command and control model is no longer relevant?
– Who will be responsible for making the decisions to include or exclude requested changes once Data Management is underway?
– What are our disaster recovery goal prioritazations? Do we want to get the system up as quickly as possible?
– Who should be called in case of Disaster Recovery?
Competence Center Corporate Data Quality Critical Criteria:
Be responsible for Competence Center Corporate Data Quality risks and find the ideas you already have.
CRM software Critical Criteria:
Track CRM software management and describe which business rules are needed as CRM software interface.
– Is there an organized user group specifically for the CRM software?
– How to deal with Data Management Changes?
Information design Critical Criteria:
Unify Information design engagements and look for lots of ideas.
– What are the best places schools to study data visualization information design or information architecture?
– Is maximizing Data Management protection the same as minimizing Data Management loss?
– Is Data Management Realistic, or are you setting yourself up for failure?
Data governance Critical Criteria:
Infer Data governance adoptions and learn.
– Have standard policies and procedures about all aspects of data governance and the Data Management lifecycle, including collection, maintenance, usage and dissemination, been clearly defined and documented?
– Have standard policies and procedures about all aspects of data governance and th edata management lifecycle, including collection, maintenance, usage and dissemination, been clearly defined and documented?
– Does the organization regularly review and revise its data content management policies to assure that only those data necessary for meeting the needs described above are collected and/or maintained?
– Is there an organization-wide metadata standard, such as an extension of the dublin core, for use by search tools, multiple repositories, etc.?
– Does the organization have a written plan outlining processes for monitoring compliance with its established policies and procedures?
– Are tools only acquired after requirements have been analyzed, or are major purchases sometimes made to use up year-end money?
– How will decisions regarding these key enterprise data processes be made and monitored?
– Fundamental problem for users: how to search for an image that conveys what you want?
– At what organizational level is it appropriate to have a new data element?
– How can we leverage technology advances from other data systems?
– Are multiple sections responsible for the requested data?
– Who knows the nitty-gritty details about your systems?
– When is the best time to discover data opportunities?
– Is data subject to legislative oversight or mandates?
– How does it get refreshed when there is a crash?
– What do you want data governance to accomplish?
– What can happen without data governance?
– Do you have an up-to-date schedule?
– Existing data connections?
– How do we put them to use?
Data proliferation Critical Criteria:
Analyze Data proliferation goals and create a map for yourself.
– Risk factors: what are the characteristics of Data Management that make it risky?
Knowledge management Critical Criteria:
Add value to Knowledge management adoptions and maintain Knowledge management for success.
– In the case of a Data Management project, the criteria for the audit derive from implementation objectives. an audit of a Data Management project involves assessing whether the recommendations outlined for implementation have been met. in other words, can we track that any Data Management project is implemented as planned, and is it working?
– Learning Systems Analysis: once one has a good grasp of the current state of the organization, there is still an important question that needs to be asked: what is the organizations potential for developing and changing – in the near future and in the longer term?
– What are the best practices in knowledge management for IT Service management ITSM?
– How do we manage Data Management Knowledge Management (KM)?
– How is Knowledge Management Measured?
– What is Effective Data Management?
Data privacy Critical Criteria:
Graph Data privacy visions and customize techniques for implementing Data privacy controls.
– Are stakeholders, including eligible students or students parents, regularly notified about their rights under applicable federal and state laws governing data privacy?
– What are the key elements of your Data Management performance improvement system, including your evaluation, organizational learning, and innovation processes?
– What are the disruptive Data Management technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
– Will the GDPR set up a one-stop-shop for data privacy regulation?
Digital preservation Critical Criteria:
Nurse Digital preservation management and get answers.
– What are your key performance measures or indicators and in-process measures for the control and improvement of your Data Management processes?
– What are the top 3 things at the forefront of our Data Management agendas for the next 3 years?
– Which individuals, teams or departments will be involved in Data Management?
Data cleansing Critical Criteria:
Consult on Data cleansing decisions and look at the big picture.
– Is there an ongoing data cleansing procedure to look for rot (redundant, obsolete, trivial content)?
– What are the Key enablers to make this Data Management move?
– What are the long-term Data Management goals?
Business continuity planning Critical Criteria:
Conceptualize Business continuity planning leadership and report on the economics of relationships managing Business continuity planning and constraints.
– What management system can we use to leverage the Data Management experience, ideas, and concerns of the people closest to the work to be done?
– How do we ensure that implementations of Data Management products are done in a way that ensures safety?
– What is business continuity planning and why is it important?
Open data Critical Criteria:
Check Open data management and track iterative Open data results.
– Do we cover the five essential competencies-Communication, Collaboration,Innovation, Adaptability, and Leadership that improve an organizations ability to leverage the new Data Management in a volatile global economy?
– Can we do Data Management without complex (expensive) analysis?
– What is our formula for success in Data Management ?
Metadata discovery Critical Criteria:
Transcribe Metadata discovery engagements and look at it backwards.
Information system Critical Criteria:
Illustrate Information system tactics and diversify by understanding risks and leveraging Information system.
– Have we developed a continuous monitoring strategy for the information systems (including monitoring of security control effectiveness for system-specific, hybrid, and common controls) that reflects the organizational Risk Management strategy and organizational commitment to protecting critical missions and business functions?
– On what terms should a manager of information systems evolution and maintenance provide service and support to the customers of information systems evolution and maintenance?
– Has your organization conducted a cyber risk or vulnerability assessment of its information systems, control systems, and other networked systems?
– Are information security events and weaknesses associated with information systems communicated in a manner to allow timely corrective action to be taken?
– Would an information systems (is) group with more knowledge about a data production process produce better quality data for data consumers?
– Are information systems and the services of information systems things of value that have suppliers and customers?
– What are the principal business applications (i.e. information systems available from staff PC desktops)?
– Why Learn About Security, Privacy, and Ethical Issues in Information Systems and the Internet?
– What are information systems, and who are the stakeholders in the information systems game?
– How secure -well protected against potential risks is the information system ?
– What does integrity ensure in an information system?
– Which Data Management goals are the most important?
– Is authorized user access to information systems ensured?
– How are our information systems developed ?
– Is security an integral part of information systems?
Computer data storage Critical Criteria:
Transcribe Computer data storage outcomes and oversee Computer data storage requirements.
Data mining Critical Criteria:
Investigate Data mining governance and summarize a clear Data mining focus.
– Do you see the need to clarify copyright aspects of the data-driven innovation (e.g. with respect to technologies such as text and data mining)?
– What types of transactional activities and data mining are being used and where do we see the greatest potential benefits?
– Do those selected for the Data Management team have a good general understanding of what Data Management is all about?
– What is the difference between business intelligence business analytics and data mining?
– Does our organization need more Data Management education?
– What programs do we have to teach data mining?
– Who needs to know about Data Management ?
Data asset Critical Criteria:
Accommodate Data asset failures and find the ideas you already have.
– What are the particular research needs of your organization on big data analytics that you find essential to adequately handle your data assets?
– Do we aggressively reward and promote the people who have the biggest impact on creating excellent Data Management services/products?
– Is there a catalog of all data assets that will be used or stored in the cloud environment?
– What role does communication play in the success or failure of a Data Management project?
Information Lifecycle Management Critical Criteria:
Consider Information Lifecycle Management issues and raise human resource and employment practices for Information Lifecycle Management.
– What are all of our Data Management domains and what do they do?
– What are the Essentials of Internal Data Management Management?
Metadata registry Critical Criteria:
Tête-à-tête about Metadata registry adoptions and find the ideas you already have.
– Does Data Management include applications and information with regulatory compliance significance (or other contractual conditions that must be formally complied with) in a new or unique manner for which no approved security requirements, templates or design models exist?
– Why is it important to have senior management support for a Data Management project?
Data maintenance Critical Criteria:
Devise Data maintenance management and simulate teachings and consultations on quality process improvement of Data maintenance.
– Think about the functions involved in your Data Management project. what processes flow from these functions?
– Are there any disadvantages to implementing Data Management? There might be some that are less obvious?
– How do we Lead with Data Management in Mind?
Information management Critical Criteria:
Focus on Information management planning and reduce Information management costs.
– What is the difference between Enterprise Information Management and Data Warehousing?
– How is Business Intelligence and Information Management related?
Data management plan Critical Criteria:
Test Data management plan projects and budget for Data management plan challenges.
– What other organizational variables, such as reward systems or communication systems, affect the performance of this Data Management process?
– What would be needed in a data management plan to describe use of novel equipment?
– Who is responsible for managing the data and the data management plan?
– Should the data management plan be kept with the data?
– What is a data management plan?
– How can we improve Data Management?
ERP software Critical Criteria:
Deduce ERP software leadership and perfect ERP software conflict management.
– How do mission and objectives affect the Data Management processes of our organization?
– What ERP software has B2B B2C eCommerce WebStore Integration?
– Why are Data Management skills important?
Information ladder Critical Criteria:
Inquire about Information ladder leadership and acquire concise Information ladder education.
– How do senior leaders actions reflect a commitment to the organizations Data Management values?
– Have you identified your Data Management key performance indicators?
Email address Critical Criteria:
Grasp Email address visions and optimize Email address leadership as a key to advancement.
– In CRM we keep record of email addresses and phone numbers of our customers employees. Will we now need to ask for explicit permission to store them?
– Who is currently performing the database work, and how big is the legacy database in terms of addresses, email addresses, touches, preferences?
– Are a customers business phone number; business email address and business IP address also considered to be personal data?
– Who are the key service provider and customer contacts (name, phone number, email address)?
Data quality Critical Criteria:
Reason over Data quality tactics and do something to it.
– Does sufficient documentation exist on implementing partner activities commensurate with the level of upstream support that is being claimed?
– Information on verification or evidence for the value and accuracy how can I check the value or have a confidence in it?
– Which quality elements and parameters do you test and what types of methods do you use to evaluate quality?
– Are data maintained in accordance with international or national confidentiality guidelines?
– Are there clearly defined and followed procedures to periodically verify source data?
– Is data recorded with sufficient precision/detail to measure relevant indicators?
– Does clear documentation of collection, aggregation and manipulation steps exist?
– Missing values and defaults are indistinguishable too many missing values?
– Accessibility: is the data easily accessible, understandable, and usable?
– At what level is data first computerized (i.e., entered in a computer)?
– What are the data quality requirements required by the business user?
– What is the proportion of missing values for each field?
– Does the database contain what you think it contains?
– What are you doing with all this data anyway?
– Are the attributes independent?
– Can Data Quality be improved?
– Where do you clean data?
– Is the system flexible?
– Where to clean?
System integration Critical Criteria:
Set goals for System integration projects and describe the risks of System integration sustainability.
– How will you know that the Data Management project has been successful?
– How do you address back-end system integration?
Metadata publishing Critical Criteria:
Brainstorm over Metadata publishing tasks and maintain Metadata publishing for success.
– What is the total cost related to deploying Data Management, including any consulting or professional services?
Relational database Critical Criteria:
Judge Relational database results and oversee implementation of Relational database.
– Will Data Management deliverables need to be tested and, if so, by whom?
Information repository Critical Criteria:
Have a session on Information repository goals and create a map for yourself.
Data integration Critical Criteria:
Generalize Data integration failures and test out new things.
– In which area(s) do data integration and BI, as part of Fusion Middleware, help our IT infrastructure?
– Which Oracle Data Integration products are used in your solution?
Data theft Critical Criteria:
Wrangle Data theft visions and find the ideas you already have.
– What are the success criteria that will indicate that Data Management objectives have been met and the benefits delivered?
– Do we have past Data Management Successes?
Master data management Critical Criteria:
Generalize Master data management issues and summarize a clear Master data management focus.
– What are our needs in relation to Data Management skills, labor, equipment, and markets?
– What are some of the master data management architecture patterns?
– Why should we use or invest in a Master Data Management product?
– What Is Master Data Management?
Data integrity Critical Criteria:
Shape Data integrity failures and assess and formulate effective operational and Data integrity strategies.
– Think about the kind of project structure that would be appropriate for your Data Management project. should it be formal and complex, or can it be less formal and relatively simple?
– Integrity/availability/confidentiality: How are data integrity, availability, and confidentiality maintained in the cloud?
– How likely is the current Data Management plan to come in on schedule or on budget?
– Can we rely on the Data Integrity?
– Data Integrity, Is it SAP created?
Performance report Critical Criteria:
Recall Performance report adoptions and secure Performance report creativity.
– Do we obtain it performance reports illustrating the value of it from a business driver perspective (Customer Service, cost, agility, quality, etc.)?
– Does Data Management systematically track and analyze outcomes for accountability and quality improvement?
Corporate Data Quality Management Critical Criteria:
Survey Corporate Data Quality Management strategies and grade techniques for implementing Corporate Data Quality Management controls.
– What are our Data Management Processes?
Data processing Critical Criteria:
Closely inspect Data processing tasks and budget the knowledge transfer for any interested in Data processing.
– Who regulates/controls wording of the Consent for personal data processing document?
– Can the consent for personal data processing be granted to us over the phone?
– How do we go about Comparing Data Management approaches/solutions?
– Do you see a need to share data processing facilities?
Machine-Readable Documents Critical Criteria:
Detail Machine-Readable Documents outcomes and clarify ways to gain access to competitive Machine-Readable Documents services.
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of Data Management product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
– What threat is Data Management addressing?
Data quality assurance Critical Criteria:
Be clear about Data quality assurance planning and adjust implementation of Data quality assurance.
Data mart Critical Criteria:
Rank Data mart planning and get out your magnifying glass.
– How can you negotiate Data Management successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
– How do we Improve Data Management service perception, and satisfaction?
Data Management Critical Criteria:
Collaborate on Data Management strategies and create Data Management explanations for all managers.
– If data need to be secured through access controls (e.g. password-protected network space), how will they be applied?
– What procedures does your intended long-term data storage facility have in place for preservation and backup?
– Have there been changes in resources allocated to Data Management staffing and equipment needs?
– Assignment completeness are all parameters assigned and are all elements considered?
– What is the format of the information and what form does it need to be stored in?
– Are there any access restrictions for the data you are collecting or will serve?
– What is your long-term plan for preservation and maintenance of the data?
– Which indices and catalogs should reference the availability of the data?
– Where and on what media will the data from each data source be stored?
– How long will the data be kept beyond the life of the project?
– Will a different format be used to share or publish the data?
– What is the schedule and budget for data collection?
– Where did it come from and where has it been since?
– At what points and how will the data be evaluated?
– Regional databases with access for other parties?
– What is the configuration of the information?
– Is any of the data owned by someone else?
– What is your plan for managing the data?
– What form will the metadata take?
Management fad Critical Criteria:
Merge Management fad results and spearhead techniques for implementing Management fad.
– Will new equipment/products be required to facilitate Data Management delivery for example is new software needed?
– What are the usability implications of Data Management actions?
Data modeling Critical Criteria:
Refer to Data modeling risks and probe the present value of growth of Data modeling.
Extract, transform, load Critical Criteria:
Examine Extract, transform, load tactics and find the ideas you already have.
– Can we add value to the current Data Management decision-making process (largely qualitative) by incorporating uncertainty modeling (more quantitative)?
Identity theft Critical Criteria:
Audit Identity theft failures and don’t overlook the obvious.
– Identity theft could also be an inside job. Employees at big companies that host e-mail services have physical access to e-mail accounts. How do you know nobodys reading it?
– Are there any easy-to-implement alternatives to Data Management? Sometimes other solutions are available that do not require the cost implications of a full-blown project?
Data enrichment Critical Criteria:
Grasp Data enrichment visions and sort Data enrichment activities.
– What other jobs or tasks affect the performance of the steps in the Data Management process?
Hierarchical storage management Critical Criteria:
X-ray Hierarchical storage management outcomes and get going.
– Who will be responsible for deciding whether Data Management goes ahead or not after the initial investigations?
– When a Data Management manager recognizes a problem, what options are available?
Customer data integration Critical Criteria:
Read up on Customer data integration decisions and inform on and uncover unspoken needs and breakthrough Customer data integration results.
– How important is Data Management to the user organizations mission?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Enterprise Metadata Management Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Data Management External links:
Meter Data Management System (MDMS)
CardioStream | A Cloud Based PACS Data Management …
Fountas & Pinnell Literacy Online Data Management System
Enterprise architecture External links:
Enterprise Architecture – CDT Services
Enterprise Architecture Center of Excellence
Database management system External links:
Database Management System – Lucidea
Kuder Administrative Database Management System – …
Database Management System (DBMS) – Techopedia.com
Random access External links:
Random access file (Book, 1995) [WorldCat.org]
Random access 2 : ambient fears (Book, 1996) …
Share this Rating. Title: Random Access (26 Oct 2007) 4.3 /10. Want to share IMDb’s rating on your own site? Use the HTML below.
Business intelligence External links:
Business Intelligence and Big Data Analytics Software
Mortgage Business Intelligence Software :: Motivity Solutions
Oracle Business Intelligence – RCI
Document management External links:
Information & Document Management Jobs, …
What is Document Management? – DocuVantage
Document Management Incorporated :: Document Management
Records management External links:
Title and Records Management | Loan Portfolio Servicing
National Archives Records Management Information Page
Records Management Training for State Agencies and …
Data erasure External links:
Complete Data Removal, Data Erasure Software – Blancco
Free Blancco Data Erasure Evaluations – Blancco
Enterprise Data Erasure
Postal code External links:
Find a Postal Code | Canada Post
FACT CHECK: Santa’s Canadian Postal Code – Snopes.com
Postal Code Lookup in Canada
Identity management External links:
ISG – Identity Management System – Login
Login Page – Planned Parenthood Identity Management
Colorado Department of Education Identity Management
Reference data External links:
Fiscal Service Reference Data
wsodata.com – Loan Reference Data Login
Reference Data – Markit
Solution stack External links:
What is a Solution Stack? – Definition from Techopedia
Intel® Nervana™ Solution Stack | Intel® Software
[PDF]eStore Solution Stack User’s Guide – Nodus …
Data architecture External links:
Certica Solutions: K-12 Cloud Platform and Data Architecture
Data steward External links:
Data Steward Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com
20 Best Title:(data Steward) jobs (Hiring Now!) | Simply Hired
Guidelines for Becoming a Data Steward | TDAN.com
Data warehouse External links:
Title 2 Data Warehouse – Data.gov
Enterprise Data Warehouse | IT@UMN
Title Data Warehouse Analyst Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com
Marketing operations External links:
What is Marketing Operations? | Centric
Marketing Operations – Aprimo
Vienna Channels: Custom Marketing Operations
Process Management External links:
Workflow Software, Business Process Management …
Infosys BPM – Business Process Management | BPM …
Emerson Process Management: Products
Data curation External links:
SPEC Kit 354: Data Curation (May 2017) – publications.arl.org
Data curation (Book, 2017) [WorldCat.org]
What is data curation? – Definition from WhatIs.com
Data retention External links:
Data Retention – AbeBooks
[DOC]Data Retention Policy – hr.waddell.com
[PDF]Data Retention and Destruction Policy
Controlled vocabulary External links:
ERIC – Free Text vs. Controlled Vocabulary; A …
I Can Read It! Books | Controlled Vocabulary Books | Sonlight
Data analysis External links:
Data Analysis in Excel – Easy Excel Tutorial
Data36 – Blog about Data Science and Online Data Analysis
Seven Bridges Genomics – The biomedical data analysis …
Data security External links:
Data Security – OWASP
[PDF]Title: Data Security Policy Code: 1-100-200 12-31 …
What is data security – answers.com
Document management system External links:
SKYSITE – Document Management System Software for …
Document Management System – go.efilecabinet.com
http://Ad · go.efilecabinet.com/Document-Mgmt/System
Big data External links:
Take 5 Media Group – Build an audience using big data
Loudr: Big Data for Music Rights
Databricks – Making Big Data Simple
Database administration External links:
[PDF]Database Administration Guide – Blackbaud
Oracle Database Administration for Absolute Beginners
What is Database Administration? – Definition from Techopedia
Competence Center Corporate Data Quality External links:
Competence Center Corporate Data Quality | CDQ AG – …
CRM software External links:
Simple CRM Software – Highrise
CRM Software For Outside Sales Teams | Telenotes
The Best CRM Software of 2017 | Top Ten Reviews
Information design External links:
Information design (Book, 1999) [WorldCat.org]
MIT 4.s02: Information Design | Fathom
The Importance of Information Design – Newfangled
Data governance External links:
Dataguise | Sensitive Data Governance
Data Governance Analyst Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com
What is data governance (DG)? – Definition from …
Data proliferation External links:
CPG Data Proliferation — Frain Industries
[PDF]Data Proliferation STOP THAT – THIC
Knowledge management External links:
KMN – Knowledge Management Network
Lucidea | Knowledge Management Software
Knowledge Management System – Login
Data privacy External links:
Data Privacy and Cyber security | Mass.gov
Student Data Privacy Consortium
Student Data Privacy | New York State Education Department
Digital preservation External links:
Digital Bedrock – Digital Preservation Services
Digital Preservation | govinfo
Levels of Digital Preservation – NDSA
Data cleansing External links:
Data Cleansing Solution – Salesforce.com
Experian | Data Cleansing | Data View
Data cleansing – SlideShare
Business continuity planning External links:
Business Continuity Planning Suite | Ready.gov
Business Continuity Planning – Northwestern University
Open data External links:
Open Data Portal | NJOIT Open Data Center
City of Seattle Open Data portal
County of Sonoma | Open Data | Open Data | Sonoma County
Metadata discovery External links:
Improved Metadata Discovery process performance in …
Metadata discovery – Revolvy
Information system External links:
National Motor Vehicle Title Information System
Buildings Information System
National Motor Vehicle Title Information System (NMVTIS)
Computer data storage External links:
Computer Data Storage Options – Ferris State University
ELSYM5 Manual | Computer Data Storage | Materials
Data mining External links:
UT Data Mining
[PDF]Data Mining Mining Text Data – tutorialspoint.com
Data Mining : the Textbook (eBook, 2015) [WorldCat.org]
Data asset External links:
Our Data Asset | JPMorgan Chase Institute
Data Asset definitions – Defined Term
A data asset may be a system or application output file, database, document, or Web page. A data asset also includes a service that may be provided to access data from an application. For example, a service that returns individual records from a database would be a data asset.
Information Lifecycle Management External links:
Information Lifecycle Management (ILM) | Informatica US
SAP Data Volume & Information Lifecycle Management
Metadata registry External links:
Aristotle Metadata Registry · GitHub
DoD Metadata Registry – AcqNotes
Home – Aristotle Open Metadata Registry
Data maintenance External links:
Data Maintenance Specialist Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com
Job Information: Data Maintenance Specialist Job
[PDF]Data Maintenance at IRB Institutions – osfi-bsif.gc.ca
Information management External links:
AIMS – Aging Information Management System
Data management plan External links:
Write a data management plan | Data management
Metadata for Data: Data Management Plan | NCSU Libraries
Data Management Plan Tool | Division of Information …
ERP software External links:
BUSINESS™ ERP Software – Accounting, CRM, HR, …
Pacific Northwest’s premier reseller of ERP Software.
Deltek Vision | ERP Software for Professional Services Firms
Data quality External links:
CLIENTSFirst Consulting – Data Quality Consultants | …
Data quality (Book, 2001) [WorldCat.org]
ISO Data Quality – NOAA Environmental Data Management …
System integration External links:
Smart Grid Solutions | Smart Grid System Integration …
Relational database External links:
RDB: a Relational Database Management System
Relational Databases – ScienceDirect
Tesora – The Future of Relational Databases (and NoSQL)
Information repository External links:
Information Repository – wipp.energy.gov
Payment Information Repository (PIR)
DoDMERB Secure Applicant Information Repository – …
Data integration External links:
Data Integration Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com
KingswaySoft – Data Integration Solutions
Data theft External links:
RCW 9A.90.100: Electronic data theft.
IRS data theft not surprising (Opinion) – CNN
Master data management External links:
Best Master Data Management (MDM) Software – G2 Crowd
Data integrity External links:
Data Integrity Jobs – Apply Now | CareerBuilder
[PDF]IMPROVING TITLE I DATA INTEGRITY FOR …
[PDF]Data Integrity Manager JD – laerdaltraining.com
Performance report External links:
2016–17 Texas Academic Performance Report
Public ADS-B Performance Report
[PDF]FY 2016 ANNUAL PERFORMANCE REPORT FY 2018 …
Corporate Data Quality Management External links:
Framework for Corporate Data Quality Management …
Corporate data quality management: From theory to …
CDQM means Corporate Data Quality Management – All …
Data processing External links:
[PDF]JOB TITLE: DATA PROCESSING CLERK – Bonner …
Data processing (Book, 1988) [WorldCat.org]
[PDF]DATA PROCESSING ASSISTANT – Michigan
Data quality assurance External links:
Data Quality Assurance Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com
What is Data Quality Assurance? (with picture) – wiseGEEK
Data quality assurance – SearchDataManagement
Data mart External links:
UNC Data Mart – University of North Carolina
[PDF]Institutional Research Data Mart: Instructor Guide …
MPR Data Mart
Data Management External links:
CardioStream | A Cloud Based PACS Data Management …
Meter Data Management System (MDMS)
What is data management? – Definition from WhatIs.com
Management fad External links:
Is ‘mindfulness’ just another management fad? | Fortune
Is / Was Six Sigma a management fad? – Quora
Six Sigma…a Stupid Management Fad? | NC State …
Data modeling External links:
Data modeling (Book, 1999) [WorldCat.org]
Data Modeling | IT Pro
[PDF]Data Modeling Basics – Pennsylvania
Extract, transform, load External links:
ETL (Extract, transform, load) Salary | PayScale
http://www.payscale.com › United States › Skill/Specialty
Identity theft External links:
Identity Theft | Consumer Information
Land Title: Identity Theft
[PDF]Identity Theft and Your Social Security Number
Data enrichment External links:
What is Data Enrichment? | Datanyze
What is Data Enrichment | IGI Global
Data Quality & Data Enrichment Report
Hierarchical storage management External links:
Skill Pages – Hierarchical storage management | Dice.com
Taxes: Hierarchical Storage Management – The Old New …
What is HSM (Hierarchical Storage Management)?
Customer data integration External links:
Data Processing & Customer Data Integration (CDI) | Merkle
Customer Data Integration – Just another Tamr Inc. Sites site
Data Stewardship – Customer Data Integration and …