What is involved in Public relations
Find out what the related areas are that Public relations connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Public relations thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Public relations journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Public relations leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Public relations related domains to cover and 153 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Public relations, Opinion leadership, Mainstream media, Freedom of speech, Theodor W. Adorno, Dog-whistle politics, Burning of books and burying of scholars, Non-apology apology, Smear campaign, Intercultural communication, Media bias, Product marketing, Mass media, Crisis management, Lying press, Promotional merchandise, Corporate identity, Media ecology, General public, Pop music, Alternative facts, Media event, Concentration of media ownership, Political science, Sales promotion, I. A. Richards, Development communication, Public opinion, Fictitious entry, Heritage interpretation, Marketing communications, Lobby groups, Media regulation, Conversation analysis, Vilém Flusser, American Dream, Nonprofit organizations, Government relations, Public sector information, New World, Discourse analysis, False balance, Sound bite, Media intelligence, Cult of personality, Media culture, Attack ad, Text and conversation theory, Accreditation in Public Relations, Internet censorship, Public Relations Society of America, Communication design, Managing the news, Social engineering:
Public relations Critical Criteria:
Value Public relations planning and cater for concise Public relations education.
– Marketing budgets are tighter, consumers are more skeptical, and social media has changed forever the way we talk about Public relations. How do we gain traction?
– If the single biggest influence in shaping consumers attitudes is community organizations, what are they and how can public relations help?
– What are your public relations problems and opportunities based on the product/program and consumer lifecycles?
– What are the problems, opportunities and anticipated issues that public relations can address?
– What are your most important goals for the strategic Public relations objectives?
– What do public relations professionals need to do to become excellent leaders?
– How can skill-level changes improve Public relations?
Opinion leadership Critical Criteria:
Chart Opinion leadership failures and figure out ways to motivate other Opinion leadership users.
– Will Public relations deliverables need to be tested and, if so, by whom?
– Does Public relations appropriately measure and monitor risk?
– How do we maintain Public relationss Integrity?
Mainstream media Critical Criteria:
Conceptualize Mainstream media results and reinforce and communicate particularly sensitive Mainstream media decisions.
– Does the Public relations task fit the clients priorities?
– How will you measure your Public relations effectiveness?
– How to deal with Public relations Changes?
Freedom of speech Critical Criteria:
Substantiate Freedom of speech strategies and secure Freedom of speech creativity.
– Will Public relations have an impact on current business continuity, disaster recovery processes and/or infrastructure?
– What business benefits will Public relations goals deliver if achieved?
– Why is Public relations important for you now?
Theodor W. Adorno Critical Criteria:
Think about Theodor W. Adorno risks and point out Theodor W. Adorno tensions in leadership.
– What are the key elements of your Public relations performance improvement system, including your evaluation, organizational learning, and innovation processes?
– How is the value delivered by Public relations being measured?
– What is our Public relations Strategy?
Dog-whistle politics Critical Criteria:
Cut a stake in Dog-whistle politics goals and improve Dog-whistle politics service perception.
– For your Public relations project, identify and describe the business environment. is there more than one layer to the business environment?
– Is maximizing Public relations protection the same as minimizing Public relations loss?
– What vendors make products that address the Public relations needs?
Burning of books and burying of scholars Critical Criteria:
Drive Burning of books and burying of scholars engagements and catalog Burning of books and burying of scholars activities.
– Record-keeping requirements flow from the records needed as inputs, outputs, controls and for transformation of a Public relations process. ask yourself: are the records needed as inputs to the Public relations process available?
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once Public relations is put into production (e.g., ongoing Risk Management after implementation)?
– What potential environmental factors impact the Public relations effort?
Non-apology apology Critical Criteria:
Transcribe Non-apology apology leadership and separate what are the business goals Non-apology apology is aiming to achieve.
– Do those selected for the Public relations team have a good general understanding of what Public relations is all about?
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving Public relations forward?
– What are current Public relations Paradigms?
Smear campaign Critical Criteria:
Graph Smear campaign risks and oversee Smear campaign requirements.
– How can you negotiate Public relations successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
– Do several people in different organizational units assist with the Public relations process?
Intercultural communication Critical Criteria:
Guide Intercultural communication results and devise Intercultural communication key steps.
– Are there any disadvantages to implementing Public relations? There might be some that are less obvious?
– How do mission and objectives affect the Public relations processes of our organization?
Media bias Critical Criteria:
Discuss Media bias leadership and mentor Media bias customer orientation.
– What are the top 3 things at the forefront of our Public relations agendas for the next 3 years?
– Why should we adopt a Public relations framework?
– Do we have past Public relations Successes?
Product marketing Critical Criteria:
Probe Product marketing planning and look for lots of ideas.
– Will new equipment/products be required to facilitate Public relations delivery for example is new software needed?
– Is there any existing Public relations governance structure?
Mass media Critical Criteria:
Merge Mass media tasks and acquire concise Mass media education.
– Will any of the planned events or research findings provide a human interest story for mass media?
– Are assumptions made in Public relations stated explicitly?
– Is Public relations Required?
Crisis management Critical Criteria:
Prioritize Crisis management leadership and define Crisis management competency-based leadership.
– How do we make it meaningful in connecting Public relations with what users do day-to-day?
– What role does communication play in the success or failure of a Public relations project?
– To what extent does management recognize Public relations as a tool to increase the results?
– Is the crisis management team comprised of members from Human Resources?
Lying press Critical Criteria:
Paraphrase Lying press tasks and oversee Lying press requirements.
– What are the long-term Public relations goals?
– Are there Public relations Models?
Promotional merchandise Critical Criteria:
Look at Promotional merchandise risks and create Promotional merchandise explanations for all managers.
– What are the disruptive Public relations technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
– How can we incorporate support to ensure safe and effective use of Public relations into the services that we provide?
– Risk factors: what are the characteristics of Public relations that make it risky?
Corporate identity Critical Criteria:
Apply Corporate identity failures and separate what are the business goals Corporate identity is aiming to achieve.
– What are the record-keeping requirements of Public relations activities?
– How do we go about Comparing Public relations approaches/solutions?
Media ecology Critical Criteria:
Map Media ecology goals and modify and define the unique characteristics of interactive Media ecology projects.
– Why is it important to have senior management support for a Public relations project?
– Is the Public relations organization completing tasks effectively and efficiently?
General public Critical Criteria:
Experiment with General public tactics and assess and formulate effective operational and General public strategies.
– How do you incorporate cycle time, productivity, cost control, and other efficiency and effectiveness factors into these Public relations processes?
– Is a public interest involved: e.g., would disclosure benefit the general public in light of content and context of the information?
– Disclosure of names/salaries by Court of Auditors in report to Parliament; necessary also to disclose to general public?
– What are the short and long-term Public relations goals?
Pop music Critical Criteria:
Model after Pop music strategies and drive action.
– What management system can we use to leverage the Public relations experience, ideas, and concerns of the people closest to the work to be done?
– Which individuals, teams or departments will be involved in Public relations?
Alternative facts Critical Criteria:
Graph Alternative facts results and modify and define the unique characteristics of interactive Alternative facts projects.
– In the case of a Public relations project, the criteria for the audit derive from implementation objectives. an audit of a Public relations project involves assessing whether the recommendations outlined for implementation have been met. in other words, can we track that any Public relations project is implemented as planned, and is it working?
– what is the best design framework for Public relations organization now that, in a post industrial-age if the top-down, command and control model is no longer relevant?
Media event Critical Criteria:
Brainstorm over Media event visions and adopt an insight outlook.
– Do the Public relations decisions we make today help people and the planet tomorrow?
– How would one define Public relations leadership?
– Why are Public relations skills important?
Concentration of media ownership Critical Criteria:
Derive from Concentration of media ownership failures and reinforce and communicate particularly sensitive Concentration of media ownership decisions.
– How will you know that the Public relations project has been successful?
– Is Supporting Public relations documentation required?
– What are internal and external Public relations relations?
Political science Critical Criteria:
Recall Political science decisions and find answers.
– What is the total cost related to deploying Public relations, including any consulting or professional services?
– Think about the functions involved in your Public relations project. what processes flow from these functions?
Sales promotion Critical Criteria:
Detail Sales promotion leadership and spearhead techniques for implementing Sales promotion.
– A compounding model resolution with available relevant data can often provide insight towards a solution methodology; which Public relations models, tools and techniques are necessary?
– Is there a Public relations Communication plan covering who needs to get what information when?
I. A. Richards Critical Criteria:
Accelerate I. A. Richards projects and assess and formulate effective operational and I. A. Richards strategies.
– Can Management personnel recognize the monetary benefit of Public relations?
– What will drive Public relations change?
Development communication Critical Criteria:
Powwow over Development communication failures and probe Development communication strategic alliances.
– Is the scope of Public relations defined?
Public opinion Critical Criteria:
Derive from Public opinion failures and look in other fields.
– Are there any easy-to-implement alternatives to Public relations? Sometimes other solutions are available that do not require the cost implications of a full-blown project?
– Who will provide the final approval of Public relations deliverables?
Fictitious entry Critical Criteria:
Have a session on Fictitious entry issues and get out your magnifying glass.
– Among the Public relations product and service cost to be estimated, which is considered hardest to estimate?
– How likely is the current Public relations plan to come in on schedule or on budget?
Heritage interpretation Critical Criteria:
Examine Heritage interpretation leadership and improve Heritage interpretation service perception.
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good Public relations project manager?
Marketing communications Critical Criteria:
Bootstrap Marketing communications quality and create Marketing communications explanations for all managers.
– You need to ask yourself two questions and organize contingency plans around them: what if? Next, think through how you would handle a crisis organizationally. to whom do you go to get the facts?
– What are the objectives of our campaign as they relate to brand awareness, knowledge and interest, favorable attitudes and image, and purchase intentions?
– What people, activities, organizations and media can have the most effect on determining the target audiences receptivity to csm products?
– How might imc be used by the two organizations to improve their marketing communications efforts in relation to green issues?
– What message design and communication channel(s) are likely to be most effective for the target audience?
– If you are in doubt about a particular event and it will require a significant expense, why not test it?
– If you do not know the cpm how can you justify the expense of using one medium or vehicle versus another?
– What type of marketing communications would seem appropriate for each public?
– Can disclosures be effective remedies in advertising and consumer protection?
– Has extra weight been scheduled in geographic areas of high sales potential?
– It supports conviction and purchase by asking so, are you ready to connect?
– Does the plan stress effectiveness as opposed to merely being efficient?
– How much interaction w/customers does this communications vehicle allow?
– Receptivity of the audience (how receptive are they to this message?
– How have you positioned your product?
– What is your regulatory environment?
– Is sponsorship a smart career move?
– Build on this with some publicity?
– What are the cost considerations?
Lobby groups Critical Criteria:
Start Lobby groups goals and integrate design thinking in Lobby groups innovation.
– What are the success criteria that will indicate that Public relations objectives have been met and the benefits delivered?
– How do we manage Public relations Knowledge Management (KM)?
– Do we all define Public relations in the same way?
Media regulation Critical Criteria:
Devise Media regulation tactics and look in other fields.
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your Public relations strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
Conversation analysis Critical Criteria:
Accommodate Conversation analysis governance and display thorough understanding of the Conversation analysis process.
– Think about the people you identified for your Public relations project and the project responsibilities you would assign to them. what kind of training do you think they would need to perform these responsibilities effectively?
Vilém Flusser Critical Criteria:
Prioritize Vilém Flusser adoptions and reduce Vilém Flusser costs.
– What are the Essentials of Internal Public relations Management?
American Dream Critical Criteria:
Focus on American Dream risks and oversee American Dream management by competencies.
– Will the Collapse of the American Dream Lead to a Decline in Ethical Business Behaviour?
– Do you monitor the effectiveness of your Public relations activities?
Nonprofit organizations Critical Criteria:
Learn from Nonprofit organizations governance and find out.
Government relations Critical Criteria:
Merge Government relations planning and triple focus on important concepts of Government relations relationship management.
– What are our needs in relation to Public relations skills, labor, equipment, and markets?
Public sector information Critical Criteria:
Refer to Public sector information strategies and prioritize challenges of Public sector information.
– What sources do you use to gather information for a Public relations study?
– Are there Public relations problems defined?
New World Critical Criteria:
Win new insights about New World risks and use obstacles to break out of ruts.
Discourse analysis Critical Criteria:
Boost Discourse analysis management and look at it backwards.
– Do we cover the five essential competencies-Communication, Collaboration,Innovation, Adaptability, and Leadership that improve an organizations ability to leverage the new Public relations in a volatile global economy?
– Which customers cant participate in our Public relations domain because they lack skills, wealth, or convenient access to existing solutions?
– Think of your Public relations project. what are the main functions?
False balance Critical Criteria:
Experiment with False balance adoptions and arbitrate False balance techniques that enhance teamwork and productivity.
– How do we Identify specific Public relations investment and emerging trends?
Sound bite Critical Criteria:
Guard Sound bite failures and report on the economics of relationships managing Sound bite and constraints.
Media intelligence Critical Criteria:
Unify Media intelligence engagements and diversify disclosure of information – dealing with confidential Media intelligence information.
– What are our best practices for minimizing Public relations project risk, while demonstrating incremental value and quick wins throughout the Public relations project lifecycle?
– Who will be responsible for deciding whether Public relations goes ahead or not after the initial investigations?
Cult of personality Critical Criteria:
Study Cult of personality issues and sort Cult of personality activities.
Media culture Critical Criteria:
Look at Media culture leadership and tour deciding if Media culture progress is made.
– What is the purpose of Public relations in relation to the mission?
Attack ad Critical Criteria:
Tête-à-tête about Attack ad planning and finalize the present value of growth of Attack ad.
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing Public relations?
– How important is Public relations to the user organizations mission?
Text and conversation theory Critical Criteria:
Align Text and conversation theory outcomes and attract Text and conversation theory skills.
– How do we Lead with Public relations in Mind?
Accreditation in Public Relations Critical Criteria:
Mine Accreditation in Public Relations projects and prioritize challenges of Accreditation in Public Relations.
– Meeting the challenge: are missed Public relations opportunities costing us money?
Internet censorship Critical Criteria:
Read up on Internet censorship decisions and describe the risks of Internet censorship sustainability.
– How do we go about Securing Public relations?
Public Relations Society of America Critical Criteria:
Reconstruct Public Relations Society of America goals and budget for Public Relations Society of America challenges.
– What may be the consequences for the performance of an organization if all stakeholders are not consulted regarding Public relations?
Communication design Critical Criteria:
Conceptualize Communication design decisions and look at the big picture.
– What will be the consequences to the business (financial, reputation etc) if Public relations does not go ahead or fails to deliver the objectives?
– What new services of functionality will be implemented next with Public relations ?
Managing the news Critical Criteria:
Match Managing the news strategies and diversify by understanding risks and leveraging Managing the news.
Social engineering Critical Criteria:
Conceptualize Social engineering tactics and acquire concise Social engineering education.
– Will our employees allow someone to tailgate into our facilities or will they give out their credentials to an attacker via social engineering methods?
– What is the source of the strategies for Public relations strengthening and reform?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Public relations Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Public relations External links:
Ogilvy Public Relations
VocusPR – Cision Public Relations
Ambit Adverting & Public Relations
Opinion leadership External links:
Opinion Leadership Flashcards | Quizlet
What is (Key Opinion Leadership) KOL management? – …
Mainstream media External links:
Why No One Trusts the Mainstream Media | PragerU
Freedom of speech External links:
Freedom of Speech and Freedom of Press – Lincoln University
Theodor W. Adorno External links:
Theodor W. Adorno | Article about Theodor W. Adorno by …
Theodor W. Adorno (1903 – 1969) – Find A Grave Memorial
Non-apology apology External links:
The Art of the Non-Apology Apology | The American Spectator
Intercultural communication External links:
ICEdge | Intercultural Communication Edge
A World of Difference: Exploring Intercultural Communication
An Introduction to Intercultural Communication: Identities in a Global Community: 9781506361659: Communication Books @ Amazon.com
Media bias External links:
Media Bias Ratings – allsides.com
The Top 50 Liberal Media Bias Examples – Western Journalism
Product marketing External links:
[PDF]California Milk and Dairy Product Marketing Provisions
Product Marketing tips and strategies from Launch Grow Joy
Mass media External links:
Ch. 10 Mass Media (AP Gov) Flashcards | Quizlet
Mass Media – Baker University
Amhara Mass Media Agency – Home | Facebook
Crisis management External links:
International Crisis Management Conference
AlertSense – Crisis Management and Collaboration Platform
Lying press External links:
Bookbinding Lying Press – Affordable Binding Equipment
Lying Press | Definition of Lying Press by Merriam-Webster
Promotional merchandise External links:
Promotional Merchandise | Socks | Headbands | Wristbands
Corporate identity External links:
[PPT]Corporate Identity – Mark Tittley
Corporate identity. (Book, 1989) [WorldCat.org]
Corporate Identity (Book, 1997) [WorldCat.org]
Media ecology External links:
Media Ecology Association – Home | Facebook
Media Ecology Theory Flashcards | Quizlet
What is Media Ecology?
General public External links:
General Public: Jobs Open to the General Public – StateJobsNY
StateJobsNY – General Public: How to Get a State Job
Fleet Wisconsin [General Public Home]
Pop music External links:
The politics of pop music in 2017 – CNNPolitics – cnn.com
Media event External links:
CIO San Francisco Summit – A Signature CDM Media Event
Concentration of media ownership External links:
Concentration of media ownership | TheHill
Concentration of media ownership – news and …
Political science External links:
Department of – Political Science
Department of Political Science
Department of Political Science
Sales promotion External links:
Levitra Sales Promotion | 1stDrugstore
Levitra Sales Promotion | YourTrustedPharmacyOnline
Unit 12: Public Relations, Sales Promotion, & Personal …
I. A. Richards External links:
I. A. Richards | Poetry Foundation
Public opinion External links:
Public Opinion, Chambersburg, PA. 47,512 likes · 6,628 talking about this. Franklin County’s #1 source for news and information
Chap 6 – Public Opinion Flashcards | Quizlet
Public Opinion Obituaries – Chambersburg, PA | Public Opinion
Fictitious entry External links:
Fictitious Entry – Home | Facebook
fictitious entry – Google+
Fictitious entry – YouTube
Heritage interpretation External links:
Heritage Interpretation at IFT – Home | Facebook
Marketing communications External links:
Strategic Marketing Communications | Fordham
HCK2 | A Marketing Communications Firm
RRD | Multichannel Marketing Communications
Lobby groups External links:
Category:Lobby Groups – TobaccoTactics
Lobby groups/Australia – SourceWatch
Media regulation External links:
Electronic Media Regulation Flashcards | Quizlet
Conversation analysis External links:
CONVERSATION ANALYSIS Flashcards | Quizlet
Vilém Flusser External links:
Vilém Flusser – Posts | Facebook
[PDF]Towards A Philosophy of Photography Vilém Flusser
Vilém Flusser – Home | Facebook
American Dream External links:
Share this Rating. Title: American Dream (2015– ) 8.1 /10. Want to share IMDb’s rating on your own site? Use the HTML below.
American Dream (TV Series 2015– ) – IMDb
What’s a good American Dream Essay Title? | Yahoo Answers
Nonprofit organizations External links:
Nonprofit Organizations – Secretary of State of Texas
Nonprofit Organizations | Virginia Tax
[PDF]Nonprofit Organizations – State Board of Equalization
Government relations External links:
Government Relations – ASAE
Women in Government Relations (WGR)
GOVERNMENT RELATIONS – Site Title
New World External links:
CCMC’s New World Symposium 2018
Brave New World (TV Movie 1998) – IMDb
Aladdin – A Whole New World Lyrics | MetroLyrics
Discourse analysis External links:
[PDF]Discourse Analysis and Functional Grammar in the …
Discourse Analysis – Upcoming Events
Discourse Analysis Flashcards | Quizlet
Sound bite External links:
Sound bite | Define Sound bite at Dictionary.com
Media intelligence External links:
Nuzzel Media Intelligence
FIBEP World Media Intelligence Congress
Christophe Ginisty | Social Media Intelligence
Cult of personality External links:
Living Colour – Cult Of Personality – YouTube
Living Colour – Cult Of Personality Lyrics | MetroLyrics
Cult of Personality by Living Colour Songfacts
Attack ad External links:
Willie Horton 1988 Attack Ad – YouTube
Text and conversation theory External links:
Text and conversation theory – WOW.com
Accreditation in Public Relations External links:
The Accreditation in Public Relations (APR), Accreditation in Public Relations and Military Communications (APR+M), and Certificate in Principles of Public Relations are voluntary certifications in the USA for persons working in the field of public relations (PR) and, in the case of the APR+M, military public affairs.
Category – Accreditation in Public Relations – PRSay
Accreditation in Public Relations – APR: PRSA
Internet censorship External links:
PayPal Internet Censorship | National Review
List of Top 10 Countries With Internet Censorship 2015
Public Relations Society of America External links:
Public Relations Society of America
Recent Jobs – Public Relations Society of America (PRSA)
Communication design External links:
Thirst | Communication Design Practice
Communication Design B.S. | Cal State Monterey Bay
School of Visual Communication Design | Kent State University
Managing the news External links:
Managing the News – The New York Times
Managing the News River | Edsby
Managing the News Page | Church Website Creator
Social engineering External links:
4.5 Social Engineering Flashcards | Quizlet
Social Engineering | Education Center | BB&T Bank
Fundraiser by Bryan Kofron : Stop Social Engineering