What is involved in Secure by design
Find out what the related areas are that Secure by design connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Secure by design thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Secure by design journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Secure by design leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Secure by design related domains to cover and 159 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Secure by design, Malicious user, Home directory, Security by design, Security-focused operating system, Denial of service, Software Security Assurance, Computer network, Network security, Security through obscurity, Principle of least privilege, Secure coding, Cyber security standards, Logic bomb, Multiple Independent Levels of Security, Buffer overflow, Computer code, Dog food, Software design, Intrusion detection system, C standard library, SQL injection, Web server, Undefined behavior, Call stack, Linus’ law, Information security, User identifier, Operating system shell, Multi-factor authentication, Secure by default, Machine code, Software engineering, Computer access control, Best coding practices, Cryptographic hash function, Secure by design, Data-centric security, Computer virus, Mobile secure gateway, Computer security, Screen scrape, Application security, Trojan horse, Antivirus software, Computer crime, Mobile security, Format string attack, Computer worm, Internet security, Intrusion prevention system:
Secure by design Critical Criteria:
Accumulate Secure by design results and customize techniques for implementing Secure by design controls.
– Consider your own Secure by design project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
– What will be the consequences to the business (financial, reputation etc) if Secure by design does not go ahead or fails to deliver the objectives?
– Is Secure by design Realistic, or are you setting yourself up for failure?
Malicious user Critical Criteria:
Huddle over Malicious user outcomes and diversify by understanding risks and leveraging Malicious user.
– Is there an account-lockout mechanism that blocks a maliCIOus user from obtaining access to an account by multiple password retries or brute force?
– When authenticating over the internet, is the application designed to prevent maliCIOus users from trying to determine existing user accounts?
– What are our needs in relation to Secure by design skills, labor, equipment, and markets?
– Which individuals, teams or departments will be involved in Secure by design?
– Why are Secure by design skills important?
Home directory Critical Criteria:
Reason over Home directory tactics and test out new things.
– In what ways are Secure by design vendors and us interacting to ensure safe and effective use?
Security by design Critical Criteria:
Adapt Security by design failures and gather practices for scaling Security by design.
– What are the key elements of your Secure by design performance improvement system, including your evaluation, organizational learning, and innovation processes?
– What are the long-term Secure by design goals?
– Do we have past Secure by design Successes?
Security-focused operating system Critical Criteria:
Analyze Security-focused operating system goals and oversee Security-focused operating system management by competencies.
– How do we Identify specific Secure by design investment and emerging trends?
Denial of service Critical Criteria:
Meet over Denial of service failures and stake your claim.
– An administrator is concerned about denial of service attacks on their virtual machines (vms). what is an effective method to reduce the risk of this type of attack?
– What may be the consequences for the performance of an organization if all stakeholders are not consulted regarding Secure by design?
– How easy would it be to lose your service if a denial of service attack is launched within your cloud provider?
– What ability does the provider have to deal with denial of service attacks?
– Are there recognized Secure by design problems?
Software Security Assurance Critical Criteria:
Explore Software Security Assurance tasks and report on the economics of relationships managing Software Security Assurance and constraints.
– What other jobs or tasks affect the performance of the steps in the Secure by design process?
– How do we Lead with Secure by design in Mind?
Computer network Critical Criteria:
Incorporate Computer network risks and forecast involvement of future Computer network projects in development.
– What is the total cost related to deploying Secure by design, including any consulting or professional services?
– Is the illegal entry into a private computer network a crime in your country?
– What are the Key enablers to make this Secure by design move?
– Does our organization need more Secure by design education?
Network security Critical Criteria:
Reconstruct Network security tactics and finalize specific methods for Network security acceptance.
– Do we Make sure to ask about our vendors customer satisfaction rating and references in our particular industry. If the vendor does not know its own rating, it may be a red flag that youre dealing with a company that does not put Customer Service at the forefront. How would a company know what to improve if it had no idea what areas customers felt were lacking?
– Are the disaster recovery plan (DRP) and the business contingency plan (BCP) tested annually?
– How will you know that the Secure by design project has been successful?
– What is our formula for success in Secure by design ?
– Are we Assessing Secure by design and Risk?
Security through obscurity Critical Criteria:
Judge Security through obscurity risks and separate what are the business goals Security through obscurity is aiming to achieve.
– A compounding model resolution with available relevant data can often provide insight towards a solution methodology; which Secure by design models, tools and techniques are necessary?
– What sources do you use to gather information for a Secure by design study?
– Does Secure by design analysis isolate the fundamental causes of problems?
Principle of least privilege Critical Criteria:
Steer Principle of least privilege results and modify and define the unique characteristics of interactive Principle of least privilege projects.
– What other organizational variables, such as reward systems or communication systems, affect the performance of this Secure by design process?
– What are current Secure by design Paradigms?
Secure coding Critical Criteria:
Distinguish Secure coding visions and look in other fields.
– Marketing budgets are tighter, consumers are more skeptical, and social media has changed forever the way we talk about Secure by design. How do we gain traction?
– What will drive Secure by design change?
Cyber security standards Critical Criteria:
Use past Cyber security standards visions and find answers.
– For your Secure by design project, identify and describe the business environment. is there more than one layer to the business environment?
– Does Secure by design analysis show the relationships among important Secure by design factors?
Logic bomb Critical Criteria:
Study Logic bomb adoptions and correct Logic bomb management by competencies.
– Think about the people you identified for your Secure by design project and the project responsibilities you would assign to them. what kind of training do you think they would need to perform these responsibilities effectively?
– How do you incorporate cycle time, productivity, cost control, and other efficiency and effectiveness factors into these Secure by design processes?
– What are the Essentials of Internal Secure by design Management?
Multiple Independent Levels of Security Critical Criteria:
Concentrate on Multiple Independent Levels of Security results and pioneer acquisition of Multiple Independent Levels of Security systems.
– Are accountability and ownership for Secure by design clearly defined?
– Is Secure by design Required?
Buffer overflow Critical Criteria:
Win new insights about Buffer overflow failures and spearhead techniques for implementing Buffer overflow.
– What are your most important goals for the strategic Secure by design objectives?
– How to Secure Secure by design?
Computer code Critical Criteria:
Mine Computer code management and improve Computer code service perception.
– While it seems technically very likely that smart contracts can be programmed to execute the lifecycle events of a financial asset, and that those assets can be legally enshrined in computer code as a smart asset, how are they governed by law?
– When a Secure by design manager recognizes a problem, what options are available?
– How is the value delivered by Secure by design being measured?
Dog food Critical Criteria:
Ventilate your thoughts about Dog food risks and report on setting up Dog food without losing ground.
– Think about the kind of project structure that would be appropriate for your Secure by design project. should it be formal and complex, or can it be less formal and relatively simple?
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your Secure by design strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
– Who is responsible for ensuring appropriate resources (time, people and money) are allocated to Secure by design?
Software design Critical Criteria:
Face Software design issues and raise human resource and employment practices for Software design.
– Record-keeping requirements flow from the records needed as inputs, outputs, controls and for transformation of a Secure by design process. ask yourself: are the records needed as inputs to the Secure by design process available?
– Do you monitor the effectiveness of your Secure by design activities?
– What are specific Secure by design Rules to follow?
Intrusion detection system Critical Criteria:
Demonstrate Intrusion detection system issues and define what do we need to start doing with Intrusion detection system.
– Will Secure by design have an impact on current business continuity, disaster recovery processes and/or infrastructure?
– Can intrusion detection systems be configured to ignore activity that is generated by authorized scanner operation?
– What is a limitation of a server-based intrusion detection system (ids)?
– Is there any existing Secure by design governance structure?
– Why should we adopt a Secure by design framework?
C standard library Critical Criteria:
Win new insights about C standard library management and diversify by understanding risks and leveraging C standard library.
SQL injection Critical Criteria:
Investigate SQL injection governance and grade techniques for implementing SQL injection controls.
– Are controls implemented on the server side to prevent sql injection and other bypassing of client side-input controls?
– Meeting the challenge: are missed Secure by design opportunities costing us money?
– Who sets the Secure by design standards?
Web server Critical Criteria:
Be clear about Web server risks and ask questions.
– Are web servers located on a publicly reachable network segment separated from the internal network by a firewall (dmz)?
– Do we know what we have specified in continuity of operations plans and disaster recovery plans?
– How do senior leaders actions reflect a commitment to the organizations Secure by design values?
– What are the usability implications of Secure by design actions?
Undefined behavior Critical Criteria:
Familiarize yourself with Undefined behavior risks and acquire concise Undefined behavior education.
– What are the disruptive Secure by design technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
– Is Secure by design dependent on the successful delivery of a current project?
– What about Secure by design Analysis of results?
Call stack Critical Criteria:
Match Call stack outcomes and prioritize challenges of Call stack.
Linus’ law Critical Criteria:
Revitalize Linus’ law management and report on the economics of relationships managing Linus’ law and constraints.
– What new services of functionality will be implemented next with Secure by design ?
Information security Critical Criteria:
Cut a stake in Information security planning and stake your claim.
– Is the software and application development process based on an industry best practice and is information security included throughout the software development life cycle (sdlc) process?
– Does mgmt communicate to the organization on the importance of meeting the information security objectives, conforming to the information security policy and the need for continual improvement?
– Does the ISMS policy provide a framework for setting objectives and establishes an overall sense of direction and principles for action with regard to information security?
– Are Human Resources subject to screening, and do they have terms and conditions of employment defining their information security responsibilities?
– If a survey was done with asking organizations; Is there a line between your information technology department and your information security department?
– Are information security roles and responsibilities coordinated and aligned with internal roles and external partners?
– Does your company have a current information security policy that has been approved by executive management?
– Is there an up-to-date information security awareness and training program in place for all system users?
– Have the roles and responsibilities for information security been clearly defined within the company?
– Are information security policies reviewed at least once a year and updated as needed?
– what is the difference between cyber security and information security?
– Is an organizational information security policy established?
– : Return of Information Security Investment, Are you spending enough?
– Does the Secure by design task fit the clients priorities?
– How to achieve a satisfied level of information security?
– Does your company have an information security officer?
– What is the main driver for information security expenditure?
– Is information security managed within the organization?
User identifier Critical Criteria:
Reorganize User identifier projects and get the big picture.
– What management system can we use to leverage the Secure by design experience, ideas, and concerns of the people closest to the work to be done?
– What is Effective Secure by design?
Operating system shell Critical Criteria:
Examine Operating system shell leadership and stake your claim.
– Do several people in different organizational units assist with the Secure by design process?
– What is the purpose of Secure by design in relation to the mission?
Multi-factor authentication Critical Criteria:
Air ideas re Multi-factor authentication leadership and gather practices for scaling Multi-factor authentication.
– Does remote server administration require multi-factor authentication of administrative users for systems and databases?
– Is multi-factor authentication supported for provider services?
– Do we all define Secure by design in the same way?
– How can the value of Secure by design be defined?
– How much does Secure by design help?
Secure by default Critical Criteria:
Value Secure by default quality and define Secure by default competency-based leadership.
– What tools do you use once you have decided on a Secure by design strategy and more importantly how do you choose?
– How can we improve Secure by design?
Machine code Critical Criteria:
Disseminate Machine code risks and stake your claim.
– How can we incorporate support to ensure safe and effective use of Secure by design into the services that we provide?
– Have all basic functions of Secure by design been defined?
Software engineering Critical Criteria:
Win new insights about Software engineering outcomes and find answers.
– DevOps isnt really a product. Its not something you can buy. DevOps is fundamentally about culture and about the quality of your application. And by quality I mean the specific software engineering term of quality, of different quality attributes. What matters to you?
– what is the best design framework for Secure by design organization now that, in a post industrial-age if the top-down, command and control model is no longer relevant?
– Can we answer questions like: Was the software process followed and software engineering standards been properly applied?
– Is open source software development faster, better, and cheaper than software engineering?
– Why is it important to have senior management support for a Secure by design project?
– Better, and cheaper than software engineering?
Computer access control Critical Criteria:
Prioritize Computer access control results and mentor Computer access control customer orientation.
Best coding practices Critical Criteria:
Coach on Best coding practices tasks and check on ways to get started with Best coding practices.
– How do we know that any Secure by design analysis is complete and comprehensive?
Cryptographic hash function Critical Criteria:
Reason over Cryptographic hash function failures and ask questions.
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective Secure by design leader?
Secure by design Critical Criteria:
Analyze Secure by design adoptions and gather Secure by design models .
– What are our best practices for minimizing Secure by design project risk, while demonstrating incremental value and quick wins throughout the Secure by design project lifecycle?
– In a project to restructure Secure by design outcomes, which stakeholders would you involve?
– What are the business goals Secure by design is aiming to achieve?
Data-centric security Critical Criteria:
Accumulate Data-centric security leadership and mentor Data-centric security customer orientation.
– What potential environmental factors impact the Secure by design effort?
– What is data-centric security and its role in GDPR compliance?
– Is Supporting Secure by design documentation required?
Computer virus Critical Criteria:
Depict Computer virus failures and get the big picture.
– Do we cover the five essential competencies-Communication, Collaboration,Innovation, Adaptability, and Leadership that improve an organizations ability to leverage the new Secure by design in a volatile global economy?
– Are there any easy-to-implement alternatives to Secure by design? Sometimes other solutions are available that do not require the cost implications of a full-blown project?
– Do we monitor the Secure by design decisions made and fine tune them as they evolve?
Mobile secure gateway Critical Criteria:
Examine Mobile secure gateway outcomes and revise understanding of Mobile secure gateway architectures.
– Do those selected for the Secure by design team have a good general understanding of what Secure by design is all about?
Computer security Critical Criteria:
Focus on Computer security failures and ask what if.
– Does your company provide end-user training to all employees on Cybersecurity, either as part of general staff training or specifically on the topic of computer security and company policy?
– Will the selection of a particular product limit the future choices of other computer security or operational modifications and improvements?
Screen scrape Critical Criteria:
Analyze Screen scrape risks and document what potential Screen scrape megatrends could make our business model obsolete.
– What are the barriers to increased Secure by design production?
– Are assumptions made in Secure by design stated explicitly?
– How do we maintain Secure by designs Integrity?
Application security Critical Criteria:
Align Application security quality and oversee implementation of Application security.
– Who will be responsible for deciding whether Secure by design goes ahead or not after the initial investigations?
– Have you identified your Secure by design key performance indicators?
– What are all of our Secure by design domains and what do they do?
– Who Is Responsible for Web Application Security in the Cloud?
Trojan horse Critical Criteria:
Revitalize Trojan horse results and maintain Trojan horse for success.
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once Secure by design is put into production (e.g., ongoing Risk Management after implementation)?
– Risk factors: what are the characteristics of Secure by design that make it risky?
Antivirus software Critical Criteria:
Check Antivirus software leadership and work towards be a leading Antivirus software expert.
Computer crime Critical Criteria:
Rank Computer crime failures and attract Computer crime skills.
Mobile security Critical Criteria:
Align Mobile security planning and look at it backwards.
– Who will be responsible for documenting the Secure by design requirements in detail?
Format string attack Critical Criteria:
Dissect Format string attack visions and catalog what business benefits will Format string attack goals deliver if achieved.
– How likely is the current Secure by design plan to come in on schedule or on budget?
– What vendors make products that address the Secure by design needs?
Computer worm Critical Criteria:
Examine Computer worm projects and acquire concise Computer worm education.
– How do we ensure that implementations of Secure by design products are done in a way that ensures safety?
Internet security Critical Criteria:
Exchange ideas about Internet security quality and find out.
– Have the types of risks that may impact Secure by design been identified and analyzed?
– What are internal and external Secure by design relations?
Intrusion prevention system Critical Criteria:
Grasp Intrusion prevention system visions and forecast involvement of future Intrusion prevention system projects in development.
– In the case of a Secure by design project, the criteria for the audit derive from implementation objectives. an audit of a Secure by design project involves assessing whether the recommendations outlined for implementation have been met. in other words, can we track that any Secure by design project is implemented as planned, and is it working?
– Are security alerts from the intrusion detection or intrusion prevention system (ids/ips) continuously monitored, and are the latest ids/ips signatures installed?
– Is a intrusion detection or intrusion prevention system used on the network?
– How will you measure your Secure by design effectiveness?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Secure by design Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Secure by design External links:
Holovision | Holovision | Credits | Secure by Design
Legolas Exchange, Fair and Secure By Design
Malicious user External links:
Import This Malicious User-Agent String Feed | RSA Link
[PDF]Malicious User Detection in a Cognitive Radio …
Home directory External links:
Funeral Home Directory – Legacy.com
Veterans Home Directory – California
Security by design External links:
Security by Design – Detroit, MI – inc.com
Security by Design Principles – OWASP
Denial of service External links:
Best Practices for Preventing DoS/Denial of Service …
Denial of Service Definition – Computer
Software Security Assurance External links:
Importance of Software Security Assurance | Oracle
Computer network External links:
Technical Support | Computer Repair | Computer Network
How to find my computer network name – Mil Incorporated
Network security External links:
Firewall Management Software | Network Security …
IANS – Institute for Applied Network Security
NIKSUN – Network Security and Performance
Security through obscurity External links:
CWE – CWE-656: Reliance on Security Through Obscurity …
N3krozoft Ltd | Security Through Obscurity
security through obscurity – Imgflip
Principle of least privilege External links:
What is the principle of least privilege?
Secure coding External links:
Attendees | Topic: Secure Coding | Meetup
Cyber security standards External links:
Cyber security standards – ScienceDaily
Cyber Security Standards | NIST
Logic bomb External links:
Logic Bomb | Definition of Logic Bomb by Merriam-Webster
What Is a Logic Bomb? Explanation & Prevention
‘Logic Bomb’ Dropped On Brokerage – CBS News
Multiple Independent Levels of Security External links:
[PDF]MILS Multiple Independent Levels of Security – ACSA)
Multiple Independent Levels of Security
http://Multiple Independent Levels of Security/Safety (MILS) is a high-assurance security architecture based on the concepts of separation and controlled information flow; implemented by separation mechanisms that support both untrusted and trustworthy components; ensuring that the total security solution is non-bypassable, evaluatable, always invoked and tamperproof.
Buffer overflow External links:
Buffer Overflow – OWASP
ORA-20000 ORU-10027 buffer overflow limit of 2000 bytes
Computer code External links:
Chrysler ECU Computer Code 15 – Allpar
How to Write Computer Code | Techwalla.com
Chrysler ECU Computer Code 13 – Allpar
Dog food External links:
Native® Performance Dog Food | Home
Dog Food, Cat Food, and Treats | Purina® Pro Plan®
Dog Food Advisor – Official Site
Software design External links:
Custom Software Design & Development | FrogSlayer
MjM Software Design
The Nerdery | Custom Software Design and Development
Intrusion detection system External links:
Intrusion Detection System Design and Installation
C standard library External links:
C Standard Library Reference Tutorial – tutorialspoint.com
C Standard Library header files – cppreference.com
SQL injection External links:
PHP: SQL Injection – Manual
What is SQL Injection (SQLi) and How to Fix It
SQL Injection – OWASP
Web server External links:
ProjectWise Web Server
Cesanta | Embedded web server
What is Web server? – Definition from WhatIs.com
Undefined behavior External links:
CppCon 2017: John Regehr “Undefined Behavior in 2017 …
Undefined Behavior – OWASP
Undefined behavior – cppreference.com
Call stack External links:
Information security External links:
Managed Security Services | Information Security Solutions
Federal Information Security Management Act of 2002 – NIST
[PDF]TITLE: INFORMATION SECURITY MANAGEMENT …
User identifier External links:
User identifier – YouTube
Does SSL connection provide any unique user identifier?
Operating system shell External links:
Operating System Shell Commands | StudyDaddy.com
Multi-factor authentication External links:
Multi-Factor Authentication – Access control | Microsoft Azure
[PDF]Multi-Factor Authentication Frequently Asked …
Machine code External links:
Machine Code Instructions – YouTube
Assembly code vs Machine code vs Object code? – Stack Ove…
G-codes Machine Code Reference | Tormach Inc. providers …
Software engineering External links:
Academy for Software Engineering / Homepage
Software Engineering Institute
Computer access control External links:
CASSIE – Computer Access Control
lxhung | Computer Access Control | Digital Rights
Computer Access Control – Home | Facebook
Best coding practices External links:
Best Coding Practices to Show during Job Interviews – YouTube
Psychopath – Best coding practices comic
Cryptographic hash function External links:
9-7.4 Cryptographic Hash Function – USPS
What Is a Cryptographic Hash Function? – Lifewire
Secure by design External links:
Legolas Exchange, Fair and Secure By Design
Holovision | Holovision | Credits | Secure by Design
Data-centric security External links:
DgSecure Data-Centric Security Platform | Dataguise
Computer virus External links:
FixMeStick | The Leading Computer Virus Cleaner
Don’t fall for this computer virus scam! – May. 12, 2017
Computer Virus – ABC News
Mobile secure gateway External links:
Mobile secure gateway – Revolvy
https://www.revolvy.com/topic/Mobile secure gateway
Mobile secure gateway Stock Photo Images. 36 Mobile …
Mobile secure gateway – WOW.com
Computer security External links:
NIST Computer Security Resource Center | CSRC
Naked Security – Computer Security News, Advice and …
Computer Security (Cybersecurity) – The New York Times
Screen scrape External links:
http://Screen scraping is programming that translates between legacy application programs (written to communicate with now generally obsolete input/output devices and user interfaces) and new user interfaces so that the logic and data associated with the legacy programs can continue to be used.
Application security External links:
Program Rules – Application Security – Google
Application Security News, Tutorials & Tools – DZone
Trojan horse External links:
Trojan horse | Story & Facts | Britannica.com
Antivirus software External links:
Consumer antivirus software providers for Windows
The best antivirus software of 2017 | TechRadar
Norton Security Deluxe – Antivirus Software | Norton
Computer crime External links:
Computer Crime and Intellectual Property Section …
http://www.justice.gov › … › About The Criminal Division › Sections/Offices
What is Computer Crime?
Computer crime legal definition of computer crime
Mobile security External links:
Mobile Protection, Enterprise Mobile Security – Skycure
ADP Mobile Security
Find Your Lost or Stolen Android Device | AVG Mobile Security
Format string attack External links:
Format string attack – OWASP
Format String Attack – WhiteHat Security
Computer worm External links:
Stuxnet | computer worm | Britannica.com
A computer worm is a standalone malware computer program that replicates itself in order to spread to other computers. Often, it uses a computer network to spread itself, relying on security failures on the target computer to access it.
Stuxnet Computer Worm Has Vast Repercussions : NPR
Internet security External links:
Internet Security, Protection and Support Plans by Verizon
Internet Security | Home Network Protection | Avast
AT&T – Internet Security Suite powered by McAfee
Intrusion prevention system External links:
How does an Intrusion Prevention System (IPS) work? – …
Cisco Next-Generation Intrusion Prevention System …
Wireless Intrusion Prevention System (WIPS) | …